Two week old chick with bubbly eyes and sneezing

jhalteman

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 6, 2015
We bought seven chicks from TSC two weeks ago. Today I noticed one of them is sneezing and has bubbles in the corners of her eyes. TSC only had small flake pine bedding so that's what they're using. They recommended large flake but they didn't tell me why.

Is she likely just irritated from the pine shavings, or could this be something contagious? What can I do for her? Should I quarantine her?

Can you post some photos of the brooder, your chick and what her eye looks like?

How much ventilation in the brooder?

Sneezing with bubbles in the eyes is often a good indicator of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma.
Have you ever had respiratory illness in your existing flock(s)?

I've used pine shavings - big and small flake, never had any respiratory problems.

Flush out her eye with saline, make sure there's no debris or pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin or Plain Neosporin. It's always possible she may have gotten debris in the eye.
The sneezing....poor ventilation or ammonia is possible.

IF she's not getting picked on, then personally I would leave her with the others. If she's got an illness, the others have already been exposed. If you feel she needs extra care, protection, etc. then separate her where she can still see the others.
If symptoms worsen, then treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin (Tylan) may also help if it's Mycoplasma. You would need to order that online.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom