Tylan 50 injection amount in water dish?

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I brought tylan 50 because everyone said its good for respiratory infections in chickens, but I didn't know it had to be injected. I don't have any needles and I don't feel comfortable injecting it myself anyways. Can I put it in their water dish? I have one hen that's been sick for over a month with a rattle and sneezing, she hasn't gotten any worse but she hasn't gotten any better either. I have been putting vetrx in their water to see if it would help but she's still sick. She has no discharge that I can see from her eyes or nose. But my other chickens are sneezing here and there and one other one seems to have the rattle. So I want to treat it asap. I have 3 silkies and 4 brown hens i think could be sexlinks. How long to treat for? and how much do I put in their water dish if they all use the same one? Any help is appreciated!.

Tylan 50 can be given orally, but it needs to be given to each individual chicken at a dosage of 0.2 ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Do you know how much they weigh? Silkies are about 2 pounds. I would guess the sex links are maybe 4-6 pounds. It needs to be withdrawn with a needle and syringe, or you can remove the top metal and rubber stopper from the bottle with pliers, and withdraw it with a syringe. I would only treat birds with symptoms, not all of them.

If you could take it back and ask a vet for Tylan Soluble Powder, that may be used in a water bowl.

Tylan will treat the symptoms of respiratory disease if it is caused by mycoplasma (MG.) It could be a virus called infectious bronchitis which does not respond to Tylan, and which may last about 4-5 weeks. The symptoms of IB are sneezing mostly. Since this has spread though your flock, it sounds more like IB. That would have to run it’s course. It can can a decrease in laying, and wrinkled egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom