Ugh! Stupid young rooster...

The welsumer roo IS aggressive if he is already doing all that by 5 months old. One of those you never can trust no matter how you handle his aggression.   Example he may try sneak attacking the dog later on- waiting until the dog is looking or walking the other way and he runs up to kick in the rear... same with you if you try various advise like picking him up and carrying him around to "humiliate" him etc.

Hate to say this as aggression is more related to lines, rather than breeds but there are more than a few accounts of welsumer roosters being people attackers, also starting very young- running full on across the yard to claw a kid in the face/back etc.

The brahma will be fine with the hens you listed.   While brahmas really can get that heavy, often times hatchery stock are lighter- roosters with more of a tall type with long  legs and big puffy necks making them look way huge. A lot of it feathers, though....

Him grabbing necks and not knowing to do after is quite normal. He will figure it out fast once the pullets are starting to come into lay and are more willing to be bred.

Bottom line you don't really need roosters, unless you want to hatch eggs.  The girls will be fine without a rooster around.

Thanks!So we might keep the brahma after all... Maybe I should start weekly weigh ins...
We do need one rooster for our flock, because of predators- mainly hawks. We have a farm collie to help keep them safe but he is not surveying the sky like a rooster is. I am working with the dog to respond to rooster alarm calls. Plus, we do want to hatch our own little mutt chicks. Having a brahma roo isn't ideal for that because they are not such great layers. Hmm. We'll see.

An update: I decided that the non-confrontational way really was the way to go with my Welsumer roo. So I made sure I wouldn't upset him. Step one was to lock all chickens out of the coop for daily chores (getting eggs, scraping poop boards, refilling feed and water). I just take some treats into their run and close the pop door once everone is out and eating (I make sure now that really everyone is out). I treat the roo first, so he can call his hens over.
At first I took my basket in the run with me at all times as a shield. I decided I would just wait out any attacks and do nothing but put the basket between us. I moved around with the basket between the roo and me and he never did attack. After a while I started going in without any other protection besides long pants - I wanted to test him - and he has not jumped at me once. Ever once in a while he looks a bit suspicious, but mostly he just looks for the treats that I usually bring. He moves out of my way when I approach him, though not far - he lets me brush his tail feathers with my leg as I walk by. He stopped making himself tall and flapping his wings when I walk by. So far so good. Also, I have not seen any more strife between the two roosters so for now they can both stay. We'll see...

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my brahma roo... he is so very handsome:

Last edited:
::ya I bet your Roo was shocked!! I had to finally rehome my Snarky. He was an excellent Gentleman to his ladies, but Jeezum he hated me. He wouldnt allow them to come up to me at all. He whop them and come for me. I know i wasnt supposed to but he and I had a few come to Jesus Meetings to no avail. Now he lives with a coworker and shares a pen with a gigantic chicken (lol what he thinks, its a turkey) lol Im told hes fine now!
1f602.png

So, my Welsumer roo will still jump at me from time to time - anything different seems to set him off, like carrying a different basket or bowl when I go i to the pen. He did it again this morning. Flew at my leg so hard he knocked himself on the ground on his side, with his bottom up in the air. I had to laugh! I just stand still and don't react at all and he didn't repeat it. It doesn't really hurt since he has just little stubby spurs still, ut he is really starting to annoy me. Anything different snds him into attack mode. The other day I went into the coop to get the eggs while they were free ranging and he jumped me when I came out. I think I have had it. Anybody in Sonoma want a very handsome cockerel?
My question is how will things settle once I remove this roo, who is top roo, from the flock? My remaining Brahma is still so clumsy wi the hens and they want nothing to do with him. They scream bloody murder when he tries to mate them. They are all fine with the Welsumer mounting them, other than the occasional squawk, really. Will they accept the Brahma once the top roo is gone? Also, is it likely that the Brahma will take over watching out for predators once he is the only roo left? What has been your experience?

I actually take a walking stick half a tree limb of small size
I am just 5 ft 114 lbs he thought about it so I talk to him give him treats
but always have my equalizer with

I did the "rehome the head roo" thing and it took about a week before the remaining roo started taking over the job. I should have kept the head roo, but I liked Ringo better. Going from two roos to one actually helped the flock, IMO. The tension was thick, even though both the roos were hatchmates.

Ringo does NOT approve of visitors. He tolerates me in the run with them and for the most part, leaves me alone. The only time he's attempted to battle with me, at this point, was when a friend came by with his daughter to visit and get some eggs. Ringo was having NONE of a small human making quick, erratic movements. Being kept in the kennel run prevented any harm but I was in the run with them and Ringo did try to bounce off of me in his frustration at not being able to take out the other threat. We don't have or want kids, so his behavior with that instance isn't really a deal breaker for me. If he starts to challenge me, that's when the game changes. I love that roo, but I will eat him and be happy about it if he turns into a jerk. He's about 8 months old now. Ringo definitely didn't challenge me like you've described yours though. I don't blame you for trying to seek out new housing for him.

I did the "rehome the head roo" thing and it took about a week before the remaining roo started taking over the job. I should have kept the head roo, but I liked Ringo better. Going from two roos to one actually helped the flock, IMO. The tension was thick, even though both the roos were hatchmates. 

Ringo does NOT approve of visitors. He tolerates me in the run with them and for the most part, leaves me alone. The only time he's attempted to battle with me, at this point, was when a friend came by with his daughter to visit and get some eggs. Ringo was having NONE of a small human making quick, erratic movements. Being kept in the kennel run prevented any harm but I was in the run with them and Ringo did try to bounce off of me in his frustration at not being able to take out the other threat. We don't have or want kids, so his behavior with that instance isn't really a deal breaker for me. If he starts to challenge me, that's when the game changes. I love that roo, but I will eat him and be happy about it if he turns into a jerk. He's about 8 months old now. Ringo definitely didn't challenge me like you've described yours though. I don't blame you for trying to seek out new housing for him. 

Thanks!
Did the hens take to your beta roo once he was the only one left? Mine scream bloody murder if beta roo tries to mount them now - I wonder if they will change their mind about him once he is an only rooster.

Back
Top Bottom