Ugh! Stupid young rooster...

Ha! My son has a whole arsenal of large water guns, I might borrow one....
I'll try the route of impressing on him that I am nothing to be defending against, by avoiding confrontation and not reacting to blustering behavior first. If that doesn't work I might try putting him in his place, I just worry that the price I'll have to pay for that is constant vigilance.
That said, when the roo jumped at my dog over and over again the other day for trying to smell his behind, my dog, seeing that backing up and being non threatening wasn't doing the trick, pinned him to the ground and held him there for a few seconds. When I asked the dog to let the roo go, the roo got up, shook himself and walked off (nothing hurt but his pride). He hasn't come close to the dog since and the dog is completely relaxed around him...

Good for your dog!
lol.png
I'd personally take a leaf out of his book. Having said that, I've been accused of being cruel by using a water spray in the past
th.gif
but you should do what feels right for you. Here's a link that you may find interesting to read - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1101665/the-complete-life-cycle-of-a-mostly-happy-rooster

From my experience, once a rooster understands that you are dominant, there's little need to worry. He challenges you, you win, so he respects you - that's chicken society (but reminding him of who is boss is a good thing - I do it on an almost daily basis with my roo, only by simply walking purposefully towards him - he gets outta the way - job done). I should say that I made a horrible mistake, through ignorance, with my first roo and he attacked me and paid the price. In retrospect, my lack of knowledge of appropriate behaviour was the cause of his demise - not him.

My roosters are extremely aggressive as they are bred to survive free range in Africa without runs. They defend their hens and themselves very well, and do not like strangers, but they do not show aggression to me or my family. Many people will cull an aggressive rooster, but I can't do that because they're all aggressive.

You have to remember that you're also part of the pecking order. If the rooster asserts his dominance over you and wins, he'll keep at it. My recommendation is that you confront the rooster. I wouldn't use a water gun, because he might end up being afraid of the water gun and not you. Best to put on some long pants and use your feet. Kick him hard enough to hurt him, but not enough to injure him. You might have to do this a few times.

You'll know you've succeeded when you can walk toward him and he moves from your path without confrontation. Everyone who handles him will probably need to do this once.

I know it sounds harsh, especially if he's your pet, but the benefit is that you'll have a tame rooster if you do this once, and you won't need to cull him.

Argh. They are driving me crazy! Now the brahma roo has started to show interest in the hens, but all he does is grab them by the neck feathers and make them scream and run. Not their prince charming... I accidentally locked him in thw coop with ine of the hens a couple if days ago and the roo cornered the hen and made her scream bloody murder. Meanwhile head roo on the outside paces in front of the closed pop door and screams his head off...
The brahma will have to go because he is just too big. Someone told me hatchery brahmas don't get all that big, but Meyer lists them at 12lbs, which is just too much I believe for my other breeds (those roosters are between 6 and 9 lbs).
How do you give away a rooster? Craigslist? The local soup kitchen? Seriously, how do you find him a new owner?

Last edited:
The welsumer roo IS aggressive if he is already doing all that by 5 months old. One of those you never can trust no matter how you handle his aggression. Example he may try sneak attacking the dog later on- waiting until the dog is looking or walking the other way and he runs up to kick in the rear... same with you if you try various advise like picking him up and carrying him around to "humiliate" him etc.

Hate to say this as aggression is more related to lines, rather than breeds but there are more than a few accounts of welsumer roosters being people attackers, also starting very young- running full on across the yard to claw a kid in the face/back etc.

The brahma will be fine with the hens you listed. While brahmas really can get that heavy, often times hatchery stock are lighter- roosters with more of a tall type with long legs and big puffy necks making them look way huge. A lot of it feathers, though....

Him grabbing necks and not knowing to do after is quite normal. He will figure it out fast once the pullets are starting to come into lay and are more willing to be bred.

Bottom line you don't really need roosters, unless you want to hatch eggs. The girls will be fine without a rooster around.

Last edited:
I agree with Kev... at this point that Welsummer needs to go... either keep the brahma or go without one for now...

Btw, hatcheries list the breed standards in their description, but not actual accurate descriptions of their stock...

Last edited:
I hear that putting an ad up on craigslist as "Free Rooster" -- asking no questions of the people who come to get him is one very good way to have them disappear- mostly if it bothers you that he'll wind up a meal-- but do be upfront with them about any questions they ask you, especially since he's already fine with jumping at you and removing things from your grasp- along with the tall stance flapping behavior.

Ah, I sure wish I could take him off your hands and put him in the pot
wink.png

Quote:
Roosters are also a good deterrent of predators.

The welsumer roo IS aggressive if he is already doing all that by 5 months old. One of those you never can trust no matter how you handle his aggression.   Example he may try sneak attacking the dog later on- waiting until the dog is looking or walking the other way and he runs up to kick in the rear... same with you if you try various advise like picking him up and carrying him around to "humiliate" him etc.

Hate to say this as aggression is more related to lines, rather than breeds but there are more than a few accounts of welsumer roosters being people attackers, also starting very young- running full on across the yard to claw a kid in the face/back etc.

The brahma will be fine with the hens you listed.   While brahmas really can get that heavy, often times hatchery stock are lighter- roosters with more of a tall type with long  legs and big puffy necks making them look way huge. A lot of it feathers, though....

Him grabbing necks and not knowing to do after is quite normal. He will figure it out fast once the pullets are starting to come into lay and are more willing to be bred.

Bottom line you don't really need roosters, unless you want to hatch eggs.  The girls will be fine without a rooster around.

Thanks!So we might keep the brahma after all... Maybe I should start weekly weigh ins...
We do need one rooster for our flock, because of predators- mainly hawks. We have a farm collie to help keep them safe but he is not surveying the sky like a rooster is. I am working with the dog to respond to rooster alarm calls. Plus, we do want to hatch our own little mutt chicks. Having a brahma roo isn't ideal for that because they are not such great layers. Hmm. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom