***UK RESIDENTS - BIRD FLU ADVICE***

Amykins, I'm sure you will be fine bringing the ducks with you- the guidelines are only in place to try and prevent the migrating birds from spreading it to domestic poultry.

@Amykins
, @chickygirl7
 makes a very good point!

I sure hope you're right...I'm still not entirely sure what I have to do, none of the people I've emailed about it over there have gotten back to me. I must have contacted two dozen very clinics, animal rescues and government ministries about it!

I sure hope you're right...I'm still not entirely sure what I have to do, none of the people I've emailed about it over there have gotten back to me. I must have contacted two dozen very clinics, animal rescues and government ministries about it!

If you look on the DEFRA's website there should be some info, if not try giving them a ring- they are a very busy department so it may take a while for them to reply to your email.

If you look on the DEFRA's website there should be some info, if not try giving them a ring- they are a very busy department so it may take a while for them to reply to your email.
I did contact them, weeks ago. Still no response.

This is the first time I wish I didn't have ducks. I suffer from anxiety and this has blown me over big time, I haven't slept for two nights. They were in the stables but they got everything so wet! I've had to make them a little space outside because they were going nuts being stuck in. I only plan to leave them out for a couple of hours and then I'll carry them back in. This is so stressful.

Last edited:
@Ihaveducks I feel for you, it is a stressful situation isn't it, but you are doing your best! And there haven't been any confirmed cases in the UK yet so please don't get too worried. I originally had mine in a temporary pen in my garage, but have since bought a large tarp and covered their outdoor pen, and bought a satchet of a disinfectant called "Virkon S" off amazon which is DEFRA approved for use against bird flu, sprayed the whole area as directed and have moved them back out, as they were getting stressed and bullying each other. Do you not have the option to cover their outdoor space?

@Ihaveducks
 I feel for you, it is a stressful situation isn't it, but you are doing your best! And there haven't been any confirmed cases in the UK yet so please don't get too worried. I originally had mine in a temporary pen in my garage, but have since bought a large tarp and covered their outdoor pen, and bought a satchet of a disinfectant called "Virkon S" off amazon which is DEFRA approved for use against bird flu, sprayed the whole area as directed and have moved them back out, as they were getting stressed and bullying each other. Do you not have the option to cover their outdoor space?
thank you for the reply. We couldn't find tarp big enough to cover the duck pen. Finally got some sleep as today we are moving the fruit pen down into the duck pen. It's going to be a lot of work. Using some old panelling to cover the top and it's already covered in bird proof wire. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain so we can get it all done today. Mine were the same, they started picking on each other.

This is the first time I wish I didn't have ducks. I suffer from anxiety and this has blown me over big time, I haven't slept for two nights. They were in the stables but they got everything so wet! I've had to make them a little space outside because they were going nuts being stuck in. I only plan to leave them out for a couple of hours and then I'll carry them back in. This is so stressful.
hugs.gif

Hi, sorry to jump on your thread but this seems to be the most up to date one what with the last post ^ and I didn't want to start a new one..

If this goes widespread over the uk, and they've named 'zones' that are affected.. Would they order all birds in that zone to be culled? Could they do that? We have a backyard flock of fourteen who are our babies, the thought of someone knocking the door and ordering them dead doesn't bear thinking about :( or would they have to test them?

Thanks x

Back
Top Bottom