um, egglaying at 13 weeks?

OK, they're usually really quiet birds but the strange one just started clucking really loudly and it sounds like an eggsong. I'm confused because she's super young but she's showing the signs.
Guess what? Not 10 minutes ago, I just heard my Light Brahma do "the egg song"!!! :lol: I had no idea what the "egg song" was so went to look it up and that's exactly what she was doing. Now, I am NOT expecting her to lay - she's only 18 weeks - but think it's really funny. I thought something outside was bugging the chickens and come to find out, it's just her!

13 weeks is too early.
You've got more weeks to wait.

The majority of mine were around 24 weeks.
I would be shocked if she laid this early. I have production birds and some of them still arent laying at 21 weeks. No way will an actual buff orpington lay at 13 weeks.
I think so too. She keeps going to the nesting box(we opened it just in case)and digs around. No eggs yet but we're actually giving them away on Saturday. I'm going to miss them.

What one chicken did the other night not.13 weeks isn’t too early,it’s very much so possible.What your bird is doing is very much so nesting behavior I’d watch for squatting,when she Begins squatting she will be laying within the next week.
13 weeks is too early.
You've got more weeks to wait.

The majority of mine were around 24 weeks.

What one chicken did the other night not.13 weeks isn’t too early,it’s very much so possible.What your bird is doing is very much so nesting behavior I’d watch for squatting,when she Begins squatting she will be laying within the next week.
A buff orpington will not lay at 13 weeks. And the squatting doesnt mean theyll lay within the week. I currently have 7 22 week olds who have been squatting for weeks. Only 3 are laying. It can be a sign that they should lay soon but not "within the week".

She is most likely trying to learn how to lay for when she does...... Any older hens in the coop? She could possibly just be copying what the hens do. Its most likely not possibly, perhaps another breed or some sort of miracle, but a BO? Probably not. She is probably just getting ready for when she lays in a couple of weeks.

Majorit if birds who are squatting whether it’s for a rooster or when a human goes to touch them,will lay within the week.Ive been raising chickens for years and this is pretty much the case with every new pullets I bring in.Maybe it’s just an inconvenience for you.But like I said,what alotta of chickens do,some won’t.Soemtimes wants expected doesn’t happen🤷🏽‍♂️.

Back
Top Bottom