Unbalanced and Lethargic Hen

Yeah, roosters can be pretty noisy. I don't think it's possible to train them to NOT crow. Lol. I live out in the country, and I raised 10 chicks. One of the chickens named Minnie, was a bantam cinnamon Queen. She got crushed under a board, it fell on her.
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f424.png
But the other one was a rooster who was named Miss Fluffy Pants until we found out he was a rooster. Lol. We had to keep him outside the coop by himself because he was attacking our hens. We were going to build him a pen, but some animal either killed him or someone stole him. Again-
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f413.png
But we didn't want fertilized eggs anyway. But my point is that if you could have a rooster, it would be nice, but just to make sure that 1) he is friendly towards you and your family,and 2) that he's nice to the hens, but not too shy so as to cower when a predator comes for a visit. I bet you're going to do just fine with your other chickens. Good luck!!
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
1f44d.png
1f64c.png

Here is a picture of one of my cinnamon Queens named Canelita when she was a chick. She is so adventurous! Lol! -

She's adorable :) I'm not sure if they don't allow roosters where I live because of noise or to prevent illegally fighting them, but keeping one inside would be safe I'm sure. It's funny to think the issue would be noise, because I know that hens can crow as well! Daisy used to crow occasionally just like a rooster!

Thanks. Yeah, you should see if the allow house roosters. Or just do it but not tell anyone. Lol-
1f61d.png
1f609.png
1f413.png
1f3e0.png
my hens "announce" when they've laid too. It's so sad that people use these beautiful roosters for fighting. Maybe that's part of the reason they don't allow roosters. Is that Daisy on your profile pic? She's beautiful!!

I just wanted to say that I think BYC is wonderful for so many reasons.Everyone has the right to look at chickens the way they want,but I find it comforting to be able to find others that share the same feeling such as you two and me!You guys keep loving those babies!They changed my life and I love them more then anything!

Yeah that's Daisy in the picture :) And it is terrible that people use roosters just for fighting.. It's good to know that there are caring people who treat their chickens the way they do. I always joked that Daisy was more like a cat than a bird! She was even my inspiration to help me go vegetarian. To me, eating chicken would be like the average person eating a dog or cat. They really do have huge impacts on our lives and special places in our hearts.

They really do. Man, Daisy is soooo pretty! I'll try to get a picture of my hens. These girls are actually just as good as the breeds specifically for egg laying. They all lay an egg a day,and most of the time they have 2 yolks! One is a white Cornish hen, and the other 2 are Cornish crosses. The first one I mentioned is named Limonada, or Limo for short.
1f61d.png
1f414.png
One of the other hens has jet-black spots on her, and her name is Choco Chip,or Choco for short. The last hen has red feathers all over her neck and face. Her name is Diamante, or Mante for short.
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
I used to have real laying breeds of chicks, but they actually belonged to our landlord. I just took care of them for him. However they live behind our house,in a ”Chicken Paradise."
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
Here is a shot of Minnie sitting on my arm before she died. I will also try to post pics of my other hens.

Yeah that's Daisy in the picture :) And it is terrible that people use roosters just for fighting.. It's good to know that there are caring people who treat their chickens the way they do. I always joked that Daisy was more like a cat than a bird! She was even my inspiration to help me go vegetarian. To me, eating chicken would be like the average person eating a dog or cat. They really do have huge impacts on our lives and special places in our hearts.
We sound so much alike.We became vegaterians too because of the discovery of chickens.It's amazing how each one has their own personality!We have one that comes running to you chattering up a storm when you walk in the room.One that tugs at our leg when she wants to be held!One that climbs up our stomach to let us know she wants a belly rub!They never stop amazing me and I love them so much!Here are some pictures of our babies!(We call them babies!)

The very first picture.....the light brown girl inbetween the black hen and white hen is very sick right now.Her name is Lilybug and I pray everyday she makes it through! By the way,your Daisy is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

We sound so much alike.We became vegaterians too because of the discovery of chickens.It's amazing how each one has their own personality!We have one that comes running to you chattering up a storm when you walk in the room.One that tugs at our leg when she wants to be held!One that climbs up our stomach to let us know she wants a belly rub!They never stop amazing me and I love them so much!Here are some pictures of our babies!(We call them babies!) The very first picture.....the light brown girl inbetween the black hen and white hen is very sick right now.Her name is Lilybug and I pray everyday she makes it through! By the way,your Daisy is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
What's the matter with Lilybug? Is there anything I can do to help her? I'm not exactly a chicken expert, lol, but I'll do what I can if you could tell me some symptoms or something. I hope she gets better!
1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f64c.png

What's the matter with Lilybug? Is there anything I can do to help her? I'm not exactly a chicken expert, lol, but I'll do what I can if you could tell me some symptoms or something. I hope she gets better!
1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f64c.png
Well, Lilybug has been to 5 vets! You may think we are crazy but we did a car title pawn just so we could afford to take her to her last visit.I know....we are nuts!She has been sick for 3 1/2 months now. She is suffering from gasping for air while laying down/sleeping/and being held.In the early stages of her illness other then gasping for air she ate and played like usual but as time went on she became lethargic and began not to eat much.We discovered that her and our other chickens had lice and treated the problem instantly,but she still didn't get better.She has become severely anemic and very tired because she can't sleep due to the breathing.The last visit to the vet I was told that she may very well still have lice and gave her an ivermectin injection and medicine for internal parasites.It has been 8 days since that visit and I don't really see an improvement.They did a culture swab that I am waiting for the results and a fecal float which turned out fine.So she doesn't have worms,is not egg bound,no fluid in her abdomen,no sour crop,nothing stuck in her throat,does not have anything to do with respiratory,so the vet thinks that she is so anemic that the loss of red blood cells have an impact on airsacs so she believes that is why Lilybug is sick.I hope the vet is right,but I don't think that is what it is.I've got numerous posts and replies on BYC in regards to Lilybug and it seems nobody knows what is wrong and all I can do is pray for a miracle!!!Thank you so much!!!
wee.gif

I'm so sorry, but I'm another one of those people who doesn't know what to tell you,that might possibly help her. I really hope that she gets better soon. But she has a really good life,so just try to keep on making her happy,and no matter what happens, good or bad she'll be happy! Good luck!
1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
Well, Lilybug has been to 5 vets! You may think we are crazy but we did a car title pawn just so we could afford to take her to her last visit.I know....we are nuts!She has been sick for 3 1/2 months now. She is suffering from gasping for air while laying down/sleeping/and being held.In the early stages of her illness other then gasping for air she ate and played like usual but as time went on she became lethargic and began not to eat much.We discovered that her and our other chickens had lice and treated the problem instantly,but she still didn't get better.She has become severely anemic and very tired because she can't sleep due to the breathing.The last visit to the vet I was told that she may very well still have lice and gave her an ivermectin injection and medicine for internal parasites.It has been 8 days since that visit and I don't really see an improvement.They did a culture swab that I am waiting for the results and a fecal float which turned out fine.So she doesn't have worms,is not egg bound,no fluid in her abdomen,no sour crop,nothing stuck in her throat,does not have anything to do with respiratory,so the vet thinks that she is so anemic that the loss of red blood cells have an impact on airsacs so she believes that is why Lilybug is sick.I hope the vet is right,but I don't think that is what it is.I've got numerous posts and replies on BYC in regards to Lilybug and it seems nobody knows what is wrong and all I can do is pray for a miracle!!!Thank you so much!!!:weee

Back
Top Bottom