Uncle Sam Expects You To Keep Hens and Raise Chickens !!

Russia is so huge. Since 1.6 km = 1 mi, the distance values seem even higher. Do you have any of the Orloff/Orlov breed chickens in your flock or area?

Russia is so huge. Since 1.6 km = 1 mi, the distance values seem even higher. Do you have any of the Orloff/Orlov breed chickens in your flock or area?
No, now i have only leghorns. The local climate in the winter is a bit chilly for them (leghorns), so in the winter I let them out for a walk only during thaws. I don’t know why I keep only Leghorn, but my first chickens were Leghorn and I didn’t change anything, I have been keeping Leghorn for many years. To raise chickens, I either use incubators or lay eggs to a turkey or duck. I have an idea to buy several "Ayam Tsemani" (totally black chikens), but it will be not very soon.
My chikens in the past season:
Now my chikens are in the shed, because we had -15 C last night. I think this is too cold for leghorn to walk, and i did not open the door of the shed.

In the summer i usually open the doors of the sheds, my fowl walking, and i walk anywhere width my goats.

What does that mean "Svobodi Kiram"?
And I had a sweet and cute CoChin in my first flock, so now CoChins are my beau ideal personal chicken, though others may be better.

What does that mean "Svobodi Kiram"?
And I had a sweet and cute CoChin in my first flock, so now CoChins are my beau ideal personal chicken, though others may be better.

Lol, it`s russian language. It`s "Freedom to the chikens!" or something like that. My chikens was closed in the shed, i open the door. There are cold nights sometimes and it is better to close the door in the evening. Sometimes i overslept and open the door a little late, not in the early morning.

When I did that for my last flock, a local FOX started to eat them.

I don`t have problems widh the foxes here, but here can be wild ferrets, they are very argessive, they pose the greatest danger to ducks. Therefore, there are only two options - either to keep cattle dogs, or to settle ducks and chickens in the same building with goats. For some reason, local ferrets are afraid of goats and never climb into these rooms. Apparently, the goats are constantly butting and chasing outsiders.

Last year in another villages a people had some problems widh a fox, it was a mad fox (rabies ill), this fox runned everywhere, one day one hunter shooted this fox and killed it. Healthy foxes here rarely climb into hen houses, they are too afraid of people. Only rabies foxes attack.

In general, large predators like a wild dog, wolf or a fox are not so dangerous here, because it is a tradition here to build high fences.
Фото2079.jpg

I like your yard + fence, and the tiles in it. I did not have anything but the chickens, and the fox ran off when I scared it once, so it fortunately was not rabid.

Back
Top Bottom