Unexpected chicks from broody hen...when to move them??

gig.gif
I have a 15 year old that was checking the coop every 17 minutes, had to send him to work with dad today to leave the poor hen alone.
gig.gif
LOL...cute at 15 they are still just as excited!

She won't leave the chicks behind! - However, it's unusual but always possible for a hen to reject little ones, possible, but not probable....

It didn't bother my girls for me to be in coop - I was actually in the middle of emptying, dusting (for lice/mites) and cleaning the coop when I heard the first little "cheeps" coming from under the hens!! I was trying to get the "nursery" cleaned up before they started hatching....
Thanks for the reassurance! We'll continue as we have been...obviously it didn't bother her before as we didn't even know she was hatching at first!lol

She may keep hatching for three days, so wait a bit, from the start of the hatch. Try to eavesdrop on her to see if she continues to tend her eggs, you will hear little crunches rolling and peeps. As for privacy some don't mind others do...your hen may be pretty used to your son...but every hour is alot-once they hatch, make much of the hen and don't mess with the chicks, hand feed your hen, when she accepts that by calling the chicks and dropping then food you can lower your hand to let the chicks eat from it....if you rush it she will likely warn the chicks to hide from you, slow and steady. Soon she'll have ni problem letting you or you son feed them.

Well I moved them to a corner. She did well and didn't freak out until just before I put her back. She has five chicks and 3 eggs still...She's been eating from my 5 year old daughter's hand and one chick was also allowed to eat from her hand! She was over the moon! She's been there 2 nights and actually moved her nest a bit to be closer to the water and food!lol She knows what she wants!lol

She started hatching Friday...it's Sunday...and those last eggs don't seem to be doing much. If she was broody before will she just sit on them forever, to the detriment of her chicks? Should I remove them after, say 5 days?

How early can you tell breeds? 4 are yellow/white fuzz with a few black spots and 1 is brown with some black spots/line on head?

thanks for all the advice!

She will know when to quit. The chicks will be fine, they can come and go as they want and eat and drink...it'll be obvious when she's done. Kids and chicks just go together don't they!

I love how protective Mamma's are, mine kept running off our pitt bull, that was funny... the dog would just turn and look at us as if to say " Hey did I just get a whoopen from a CHICKEN?"

Back
Top Bottom