Unknown Breed...Can ya'll help me?

bigego9931

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
Hey ya'll, I recently ordered 6 pullet Americana's from a web site. They offered a free "mystery" chick for free which I accepted. Can ya'll identify the breed?

Attachments

• 20230927_183429.jpg
    20230927_183429.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 54
Can you get a picture of the comb?

I think it is probably a Brahma or a Cochin, but the comb would tell which (Brahmas have pea combs, Cochins have single combs, both have feathered feet, both can come in more-or-less that color.)

Which hatchery did it come from?

Can you get a picture of the comb?

I think it is probably a Brahma or a Cochin, but the comb would tell which (Brahmas have pea combs, Cochins have single combs, both have feathered feet, both can come in more-or-less that color.)

Which hatchery did it come from?
Murray McMurray hatchery

Murray McMurray hatchery

Then it would be either a Dark Brahma (pea comb) or a Silver Laced Cochin (single comb.)

I can't see the comb in the picture, but the overall appearance makes me think Brahma is more likely than Cochin.

It is most likely a male, because McMurray's mystery chicks usually are males.

Hard to get close to get a shot of the comb. I did find a pic that looks very much like a Brahma. I guess in a few months it will be easier to tell. Nice looking pullet.
Thanks for the reply.

Then it would be either a Dark Brahma (pea comb) or a Silver Laced Cochin (single comb.)

I can't see the comb in the picture, but the overall appearance makes me think Brahma is more likely than Cochin.

It is most likely a male, because McMurray's mystery chicks usually are males.
I figured that might be the case getting a free chick...Thanks!

Hard to get close to get a shot of the comb. I did find a pic that looks very much like a Brahma. I guess in a few months it will be easier to tell.
When it is older and more obvious, maybe you can post an update. I like to learn what the right answer is :)

Back
Top Bottom