Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
Is this an ant bite?

It's reassuring to know you feel that way about it too. I'm sorry to hear about your chickens. It's so sad to lose any one of them, but two is terrible.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Pickles is alone tonight. I took our other girl to be put to sleep by the vet.
That's too bad, I'm sorry for your loss too. Yes we had a rough week. And it is painful to have them euthanized, even though it's the kindest thing to do sometimes. We had both of ours euthanized in the same week.., one on Monday, one on Friday. It was horrible, and I think it was rough on the vet, too.

The results of Mrs. Pickles necropsy came in. Before I proceed with the lengthy list of items on the report, I will note that the vet asked the pathologist about Mrs. Pickles having fowl pox and he said she could have had it, but did not have it at the time of her death. The vet also asked about the antibiotics given & was told the bacteria could simply have been resistant.

I have only included the condensed results from the report (originally 3 pages in what appears to be 8-pt font). The necropsy was performed at the TVMDL in College Station, TX.

Histopathologic Diagnosis:
- Systemic lymphocytic inflammation consistent with Avian Leukosis virus
- Eyelid: Focal granulamatous blepharitis surrounding coccoid bacteria

Molecular Diagnostics:
- Mycoplasma: MG negative and MS positive in relatively large amounts

Necropsy Diagnosis:
- Severe sinusitis, conjunctivits with periocular abscesses

To lighten the bad news, I will share what made me laugh when I told my husband the vet called to let me know the report was in:

Me: "The vet called with Mrs. Pickles' results."
Husband: "What was wrong with her?"
Me: "She is dead."
Husband: "No, I mean what was the cause of her death?"
Me: "Lethal injection."

Should I put some antibiotic ointment on it? I have some ophthalmic eye ointment left from another chicken vet visit. Also, could I use plain neosporin that close to the eye?

Quote:
I didn't even think about that, lol. You can use plain Neosporin it if doesn't have pain killer in it. If it gets bigger or looks nastier though, and you have access to a vet, that would be the way I would go. It could be an abscess of some kind. Does she shake her head or act like it's hurting her? You could try giving her some baby aspirin for pain relief and to maybe reduce some inflammation. One baby aspirin crushed in a treat two or three times a day. I crush up the aspirin and sprinkle it over a tiny dab of peanut butter spread over a little piece of bread, small enough to swallow, and then I roll that up into a ball. Contains the aspirin well.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will get some baby aspirin. It looks like it hurts. That's a great medicine trick. I never thought about using peanut butter!

The spot looks about the same tonight, but there is a bit more swelling.

THey love the peanut butter too.
smile.png
. But seriously, if there's more swelling, don't delay too long. Chickens hide symptoms until they can't any longer...so if this is an abscess, it's already well underway, and you don't want it to get to the point where there's no turning back. That can happen very quickly in chickens. Even if it is just a bite or sting it could turn serious. Someone on here had a chicken once who swallowed what they think was a brown recluse or black widow. It was horrible; it bit the inside of the birds throat....

Back
Top Bottom