Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

Can you get some injectable Tylan? Idk how well it would work for something like that, but it might....and you can administer it orally, and also get it at feed stores. I think you need to give an antibiotic, but probably don't have time to wait for ordering something online. It's being so close to the eye that concerns me.

Even if you don't use the Tylan for this, it's not a bad thing to have in your chicken first aid kit. You might try feeling the lump and see if it is hard or soft...in other words, does it feel like it's full of infection, or does it feel more hard, like a bee sting would. I am not sure you can tell for sure, but worth a try. Also is it hot? Is she sneezing or is there any discharge? YOu could maybe try a warm compress too....

Swellling on bird's faces is not all that uncommon, there can be a number of causes.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have soluble Tylosin and sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim. I gave her some meloxicam last night.

Her vet is on vacation until next week. She was in the office for a problem with her other eye a couple of weeks ago. She now has what looks like a fowl pox lesion on the other side (the side that was a problem a few weeks ago). She has been very dehydrated.

Here is a photo from last night of the possible ant bite side:

Here is a photo from last night of the lesion on the other side:

They could certainly be related problems then. What did the vet think the first problem was? Hopefully she is still eating well? I would make an appt for her first thing Monday then, if you can. I think the Tylosin would be better than the sulfa, but I don't know what the dosage would be.

Last edited:
The vet wasn't entirely sure what was wrong with Mrs. Pickles. She was concerned it was newcastle or possibly marek's during our first visit. After a week away from the flock, she was much better (and without any other symptoms). At our follow-up visit, the vet said it was okay to put her back with the flock.

The dosage given for Tylosin soluble is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thank you for checking on her. It's bad news. There was no change yesterday and then it got worse by around 4pm today. By 8:30pm, it was much worse. A visit to the vet when she returns from vacation on Monday will be too long to wait, so we will have to kill her ourselves.

Here is a photo from earlier today:

Mrs. Pickles actually seems better today, so I'm glad we didn't go ahead with killing her last night. It was too dark to dig a place for her.

She is drinking and is generally more interested in what's going on around her. I am hoping and praying she will be okay until Monday.

We've given her meloxicam and also sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim, both of which were left over from bumblefoot treatment. I measured and cut a piece of extra thin hydrocolloid dressing to fit. It will probably fall off soon because I didn't cut it small enough to miss the feathers above her eye. I'll cut another piece with that part cut out so it will hopefully stick until Monday.

The swelling seems to have gone down, but maybe that's just me being hopeful. The spot is black this morning. I don't know if that's good or bad. Last night, it was almost like the skin around the edge turned purple and melted away as we watched. I lifted an edge of the area last night, hoping something would drain, but it's solid. That may be the reason for the color change.

Back
Top Bottom