Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

Aggh.  Can she still see from that eye?  Do you think eye wash or antibiotic drops might help the eye itself?

It's almost swollen shut at this point. She is always anxious to get back in the rabbit hutch to lay down when I've let her out. I took her out for pictures one night, set her down, and she actually scurried back to the hutch and jumped in. We have another hen who is sharing the hutch due to egg yolk peritonitis. I believe having another hen to snuggle with day & night is comforting to each of them.

I need to be clear: If a chicken has fowl pox, don't confine it with another chicken. Keeping contagious animals together makes it much easier to spread a virus or anything else that is contagious.

Our case is different. The other hen has passed the compressed egg yolk, then recovered quickly in the past and gone back to happy chicken activities. This time it seems different. Bluntly, she isn't contagious and will probably die before fowl pox could present any symptoms (even if she got better this time).

We have antibiotic ophthalmic ointment on hand in case the eye becomes infected.

I'm glad she has someone to snuggle with. Recently, we had two chickens with different symptoms together in our library, aka our ICU ward. Neither were contagious, but unfortunately both were terminal, one from a hawk injury, one from what we believe was some form of cancer. Still, I think it gave them great comfort to be close to each other as they could be overnight, as they slept as close as they could to each other in their separate cages. Chickens are so social, it is very hard on them to be alone.

I'm glad she has someone to snuggle with. Recently, we had two chickens with different symptoms together in our library, aka our ICU ward. Neither were contagious, but unfortunately both were terminal, one from a hawk injury, one from what we believe was some form of cancer. Still, I think it gave them great comfort to be close to each other as they could be overnight, as they slept as close as they could to each other in their separate cages. Chickens are so social, it is very hard on them to be alone.

It's reassuring to know you feel that way about it too. I'm sorry to hear about your chickens. It's so sad to lose any one of them, but two is terrible.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Pickles is alone tonight. I took our other girl to be put to sleep by the vet.

It's reassuring to know you feel that way about it too. I'm sorry to hear about your chickens. It's so sad to lose any one of them, but two is terrible.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Pickles is alone tonight. I took our other girl to be put to sleep by the vet.
That's too bad, I'm sorry for your loss too. Yes we had a rough week. And it is painful to have them euthanized, even though it's the kindest thing to do sometimes. We had both of ours euthanized in the same week.., one on Monday, one on Friday. It was horrible, and I think it was rough on the vet, too.

That's too bad, I'm sorry for your loss too.  Yes we had a rough week.  And it is painful to have them euthanized, even though it's the kindest thing to do sometimes.  We had both of ours euthanized in the same week.., one on Monday, one on Friday.  It was horrible, and I think it was rough on the vet, too. 

That does sound like a horrible week for all of you. I hope you don't have more like that.

She's still getting around okay, although she's miserable. Her claws had grown long due to not scratching around as much, so I trimmed them a couple of weeks ago. Last night, I noticed the tip of her beak is chipped. I didn't notice how overgrown it was. Is there anything I can do for her beak? I will not trim it, but should I file the tip?

Here is a picture from last night.

My rooster had a chipped beak when he was sick. I didn't do anything as he was still able to eat ok, and it seemed to grow back. Are you giving her any vitamins?

Back
Top Bottom