Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

I like Rooster Booster B & K formula. It is a pretty powerful vitamin supplement and I always use if for sick or injured birds. It's cherry flavored and you can put it in their water or food, one to three cc's . There are also supplements that you can add to the feed, they're like crumbles. The Rooster Booster is more expensive than some other kinds, but it lasts a while. Some people like to use liquid baby vitamins that do not have Vitamin D added, but I prefer the kind made specifically for poultry.

I like Rooster Booster B & K formula. It is a pretty powerful vitamin supplement and I always use if for sick or injured birds. It's cherry flavored and you can put it in their water or food, one to three cc's . There are also supplements that you can add to the feed, they're like crumbles. The Rooster Booster is more expensive than some other kinds, but it lasts a while. Some people like to use liquid baby vitamins that do not have Vitamin D added, but I prefer the kind made specifically for poultry.
Is that the same as Poultry Cell?? I haven't seen B and K formula before.

@lovemy6hens is this the sick bird from the beginning?? mrs pickles?

have you tried treating her with tylan or baytril,
have you checked for eyeworms?

sorry if you said this but i am not done with reading the entire thread yet

Thank you, @DwayneNLiz. No apologies necessary! Yes, this thread is all Mrs. Pickles.

Over the past 6 months, for one thing or another she had had:
* shots of baytril given by the vet (antibiotic)
* shots of meloxicam given by the vet (pain & swelling)
* soluble tylosin (antibiotic)
* sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (antibiotic)
* meloxicam (pain & swelling)
* valbazen (she had worms)
* ivermectin (she had lice)
* tobramycin ophthalmic drops (eye infection)

She has been checked for eye worms and thankfully we haven't dealt with those.

The month she was entirely well, she had lice then worms. She when she gets sick, she is quickly back to her normal self.

It seems like a ton of antibiotics, but this is a 6-month period of being sick.

Right now, she's doing normal chicken things again. In our experience, when the lesions become really nasty looking, she starts feeling better. Every time I've decided it's time to have her put to sleep, she is back to happy chicken things. I've gone as far as getting the carrier down and walking outside to find her dustbathing then running around.

She filed her chipped beak down to normal the day after I posted the picture with the overgrown beak & chip.

Thank you, @DwayneNLiz . No apologies necessary! Yes, this thread is all Mrs. Pickles.

Over the past 6 months, for one thing or another she had had:
* shots of baytril given by the vet (antibiotic)
* shots of meloxicam given by the vet (pain & swelling)
* soluble tylosin (antibiotic)
* sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (antibiotic)
* meloxicam (pain & swelling)
* valbazen (she had worms)
* ivermectin (she had lice)
* tobramycin ophthalmic drops (eye infection)

She has been checked for eye worms and thankfully we haven't dealt with those.

The month she was entirely well, she had lice then worms. She when she gets sick, she is quickly back to her normal self.

It seems like a ton of antibiotics, but this is a 6-month period of being sick.

Right now, she's doing normal chicken things again. In our experience, when the lesions become really nasty looking, she starts feeling better. Every time I've decided it's time to have her put to sleep, she is back to happy chicken things. I've gone as far as getting the carrier down and walking outside to find her dustbathing then running around.

She filed her chipped beak down to normal the day after I posted the picture with the overgrown beak & chip.
th.gif
holy cow! that poor bird! and now she is having eye issues again? is she the only bird that has the issues?

:th  holy cow! that poor bird! and now she is having eye issues again? is she the only bird that has the issues?

She is the only one with problems like this & it seems like a different problem every time. It also seems like she gets two different types of lesions, one of which seems more like typical fowl pox but the lesions don't last as long.

We would have had her put to sleep long ago if it was the same thing every time & didn't keep getting better.

Here she is yesterday, good side & bad. All the white areas are scars.

There are two dots on the lower lid that are starting to form into lesions (on the bad side). Those were both visible in photos from last fall but not over the summer. It's strange. Those aren't the only spots that have turned into lesions over a period of months.

All the photos look better when they're opened than in the posts.

so strange, i wonder if she has some sort of allergy, like to the bedding that irritates her eyes then she scratches and cuts herself getting it dirty..blah blah blah

i wonder if irrigating the eye with saline then the optical antibiotic again would help

with all her chronic problems she is probably not the healthiest bird, there is some thing wrong with her immune system
so weird

Back
Top Bottom