Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Pickles
hugs.gif

I've been following this thread for a while and you have tried everything, cared for and loved her.
When you get more information from necropsy, would you mind sharing with us what was found?

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Pickles:hugs

I've been following this thread for a while and you have  tried everything, cared for and loved her. 
When you get more information from  necropsy, would you mind sharing with us what was found? 

Thank you so much, @Wyorp Rock. I should have the report in a week or two and will post as soon as I receive them.

I asked the vet to put Mrs. Pickles to sleep this morning. We've sent her to have a necroscopy.
I am so sorry, I feel for you! It is so difficult when we try and try to save them and just can't. I have been there many times, and the birds that we deal with in these types of situations we become so bonded to, from intensely caring for them for so long, of course! Poor Mrs Pickles and poor you, too, but you gave her the very best of care and she knew you loved her! Thank you for sharing all this information as I at least am a lot more informed about Fowl Pox than I was before...I hope we never have it here! Will be interested to hear the results, as well.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry, I feel for you!  It is so difficult when we try and try to save them and just can't.  I have been there many times, and the birds that we deal with in these types of situations we become so bonded to,  from intensely caring for them for so long, of course!  Poor Mrs Pickles and poor you, too, but you gave her the very best of care and she knew you loved her!  Thank you for sharing all this information as I at least am a lot more informed about Fowl Pox than I was before...I hope we never have it here!  Will be interested to hear the results, as well.  :hugs

Thank you so much, @chicknmania. We've learned a lot too. I'm looking forward to the results too.

Sorry to hear you lost miss Pickles.
sad.png
You did all you could for her.
hugs.gif

So the rest of your birds are healthy, and not showing any signs of infection? I too will be very interested in hearing the necropsy results.

@henny1129, your support is more than enough! I think this is one of those things there isn't much that can be done about.

I'm glad you've found it comforting. I'm really not to good with illnesses, but I at least try to comfort people. :)
I asked the vet to put Mrs. Pickles to sleep this morning. We've sent her to have a necroscopy.

I'm so sorry! :hugs At least she was give a loving and caring home while she lived. I look forward to the hearing about the results, this was a very interesting thread to follow.

I'm glad you've found it comforting. I'm really not to good with illnesses, but I at least try to comfort people. :)
I'm so sorry! :hugs At least she was give a loving and caring home while she lived. I look forward to the hearing about the results, this was a very interesting thread to follow.

Thank you so much, @henny1129. I appreciate it and am looking forward to the results too.

The results of Mrs. Pickles necropsy came in. Before I proceed with the lengthy list of items on the report, I will note that the vet asked the pathologist about Mrs. Pickles having fowl pox and he said she could have had it, but did not have it at the time of her death. The vet also asked about the antibiotics given & was told the bacteria could simply have been resistant.

I have only included the condensed results from the report (originally 3 pages in what appears to be 8-pt font). The necropsy was performed at the TVMDL in College Station, TX.

Histopathologic Diagnosis:
- Systemic lymphocytic inflammation consistent with Avian Leukosis virus
- Eyelid: Focal granulamatous blepharitis surrounding coccoid bacteria

Molecular Diagnostics:
- Mycoplasma: MG negative and MS positive in relatively large amounts

Necropsy Diagnosis:
- Severe sinusitis, conjunctivits with periocular abscesses

To lighten the bad news, I will share what made me laugh when I told my husband the vet called to let me know the report was in:

Me: "The vet called with Mrs. Pickles' results."
Husband: "What was wrong with her?"
Me: "She is dead."
Husband: "No, I mean what was the cause of her death?"
Me: "Lethal injection."

Back
Top Bottom