Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
IMO it would depend what you are trying to prevent;)

Probotics would be ok but i would never use something like antibiotics to prevent anything if they did not have a need for it, bacteria and germs can build up an immunity to them and if your birds ended up with something that that antibiotic would have treated it could render it useless, then you would have to find something else to treat the illness and in some cases with antibiotics that may be the only treatment.

Ohh I didn't know Corid was an antibiotic. I agree with you on that. I do not want them to build an immunity to it at all. Mine are all on probiotics already so that's all they get.

Corid is not an antibiotic, it's the coccidiostat amprolium that's in *most* medicated chick feed. Sulfa drugs that are used to treat coccidiosis, like Sulmet, Dimethox, Albon, Sulfatrim, SMZ/TMP *are* antibiotics and should never be used to prevent it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Corid is not an antibiotic, it's the coccidiostat amprolium that's in *most* medicated chick feed. Sulfa drugs that are used to treat coccidiosis, like Sulmet, Dimethox, Albon, Sulfatrim, SMZ/TMP *are* antibiotics and should never be used to prevent it.

-Kathy

So Kathy,

Would it be a bad idea to treat preventatively? Especially my new pullet that's in isolation? Btw...I am still waiting on my de wormer! Lol. Thank you! She too is also on probiotics. She's not showing any signs of anything.

-Kathy

So Kathy,

Would it be a bad idea to treat preventatively? Especially my new pullet that's in isolation? Btw...I am still waiting on my de wormer! Lol. Thank you! She too is also on probiotics. She's not showing any signs of anything.

Some people do use it as a preventative, but I haven't. Not because I think it's a bad idea, just haven't because of the way I do things here it wouldn't work.

-Kathy

Forgot to say that I don't see any reason to give Corid as a preventative if you're feeding a medicated chick starter that has amprolium in it.

-kathy

I'm just curious. I don't have a chicken showing any signs or even sick. Thank goodness! But we have moved recently. Is it a bad idea to do preventative treatment? My birds are about 6 months old now. Does it hurt them to do preventative treatment?

Hi there, you are talking about chickens correct? If so, and they are 6 months old there really should be no need to treat preventatively for coccidia. Cocci is a microorganism that is present in the soil, pretty much everywhere. If your birds have touched the ground then they have been exposed, and that is normal, all birds are exposed eventually and they will build up a resistance/tolerance to the cocci. In young chicks and peachicks the immune system may not be developed enough to build up this resistance and they can develop coccidiosis and this is what can kill them and it is treated with amprolium or the sulfa drugs. Peachicks should be 12 weeks old before they are put on the ground, that way they have a stronger immune system, chickens can be put on the ground earlier, 8-10 weeks I think. At 6 months old your birds should be plenty old enough to tolerate the cocci and be fine, I wouldn't worry about treating them if they are not symptomatic. If they do become symptomatic..... lethargic, thin, drooping wings, etc... that is a different story, then you should treat them ASAP.
thumbsup.gif

Hi there, you are talking about chickens correct? If so, and they are 6 months old there really should be no need to treat preventatively for coccidia. Cocci is a microorganism that is present in the soil, pretty much everywhere. If your birds have touched the ground then they have been exposed, and that is normal, all birds are exposed eventually and they will build up a resistance/tolerance to the cocci. In young chicks and peachicks the immune system may not be developed enough to build up this resistance and they can develop coccidiosis and this is what can kill them and it is treated with amprolium or the sulfa drugs. Peachicks should be 12 weeks old before they are put on the ground, that way they have a stronger immune system, chickens can be put on the ground earlier, 8-10 weeks I think. At 6 months old your birds should be plenty old enough to tolerate the cocci and be fine, I wouldn't worry about treating them if they are not symptomatic. If they do become symptomatic..... lethargic, thin, drooping wings, etc... that is a different story, then you should treat them ASAP. :thumbsup

Thank you for all the useful info!! I absolutely love this website. :celebrate

is it ok to give corid with the medicated chick feed?

Yes, my peachicks have been getting the preventative dose of corid in their water and eating the medicated starter for 3 weeks and they are doing great. I had to put them on the ground a little earlier than is recommended so they will get the corid in their water until they are 12 weeks old.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a difference between broody raised chicks and chicks that come from the feed store? My feed store chicks had runny, stinky poo and I gave them Corid at 4 weeks although they were not showing any signs of being sick. Their poops improved after the Corid, so I think it was the right choice to give it as a "preventative" for them.

Now I have 9 chicks I hatched with a broody. I was going to get the Corid out to mix in their water. They are living outside and in a horse stall that has had many chick/chickens in it, plus they free range. However, the chicks look great and their poops are solid and a normal green color. They seem so much more healthy than the first batch of chicks. (I lost one of them at a day old because the mom killed it. Everyone else is fat and sassy.) I wasn't sure if this is a typical difference, or a just a coincidence.

Has anyone noticed a difference between broody raised chicks and chicks that come from the feed store? My feed store chicks had runny, stinky poo and I gave them Corid at 4 weeks although they were not showing any signs of being sick. Their poops improved after the Corid, so I think it was the right choice to give it as a "preventative" for them.

Now I have 9 chicks I hatched with a broody. I was going to get the Corid out to mix in their water. They are living outside and in a horse stall that has had many chick/chickens in it, plus they free range. However, the chicks look great and their poops are solid and a normal green color. They seem so much more healthy than the first batch of chicks. (I lost one of them at a day old because the mom killed it. Everyone else is fat and sassy.) I wasn't sure if this is a typical difference, or a just a coincidence.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that chicks hatched by hens do not eat much feces, they eat what mom feeds them and she doesn't feed them that. Incubator hatched chicks on the other hand will eat pretty much anything including lots of poop, this tends to not be a problem for us as the chicks are all the same age and hatched together, so no real chance for the feces to contain cocci or worms or anything. Feed store chicks however could have been exposed to just about anything and because of this tendency if one has something they will all have it. That said, I have lost hen hatched chicks to what I am certain was cocci, but they were generally 3-4 weeks old when they started to exhibit symptoms. My hen hatched chicks are also on the preventative dose this year and very healthy at 6 weeks old today.

Back
Top Bottom