Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
It's no less than 1.5 tsp per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Do you know which one pooped that?

-Kathy

Unfortunately I don't know. I was at work when it happened :/ I'm thinking it's just one being that over 95% of the others are normal.

Should I do 1 tsp per gallon?

I only have 22 chicks so I've been using 16.9 oz water bottles in their small waterer because they soil their water so quickly and i don't want to waste gallons of water at a time. (We have to use bottled water because our well water is nasty so that's why I don't want to waste it. )

I divided the 1.5 tsp out into 8 equal portions since there's eight 16 oz portions in a gallon. Im thinking since the water bottles are 16.9 oz, my measurement will come out to less than 1.5 tsp per gallon. Closer to just over a teaspoon. Is this sufficient?

16.9 ouncesl = ~500 ml.
500 ml x .24 = 120 mg
1 teaspoon = 540 mg to 600 mg
1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg to 150 mg

Okay... I would use 1/4 tsp per 16.9 ounce bottle.

-Kathy

Well, I'm starting to lose some.

Two down this morning. :/ I'm hoping to have caught the cocci before I lose more. I never thought they could get this so young.

Surprisingly, the unvaccinated chicks seem completely fine... For now. Fingers crossed.

I will definitely not be doing mail order chicks again. I don't blame the hatchery or the post office. I just think it's too much on an infant chick to have them shipped like that.

Hopefully enough will survive that I can breed my own and keep a closed flock.

Expensive and traumatic lesson learned.

You're welcome! 1/4 tsp is a little more than you need, but it is really safe, so don't worry about it.

-Kathy

Day 3 of Corid and 95% of the chicks are doing great. I am still seeing a few runny dark brownish red poops, but now I'm wondering if this is cocci that I'm dealing with.

When I was just cleaning the brooder and changing out the bedding / newspaper and paper towels and I saw that just the messy bloody the poop had something in it. Upon closer inspection I saw what appears to be tiny wood shavings! When I had them in the brooder in the house, I had paper towels over pine shavings at the recommendation of a few people and one of the hatcheries. I noticed that they kept scratching the newspaper and paper towels out of the way to dig down into the pine shavings. I guess some of them ate some. Do you happen to have any experience with this? Should I give them a little chick grit? Can they pass that? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Day 3 of Corid and 95% of the chicks are doing great. I am still seeing a few runny dark brownish red poops, but now I'm wondering if this is cocci that I'm dealing with.

When I was just cleaning the brooder and changing out the bedding / newspaper and paper towels and I saw that just the messy bloody the poop had something in it. Upon closer inspection I saw what appears to be tiny wood shavings! When I had them in the brooder in the house, I had paper towels over pine shavings at the recommendation of a few people and one of the hatcheries. I noticed that they kept scratching the newspaper and paper towels out of the way to dig down into the pine shavings. I guess some of them ate some. Do you happen to have any experience with this? Should I give them a little chick grit? Can they pass that? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I attached some pics. If you look closely you can see the tiny shavings. Looks like a lot of blood, should I stop Corid and start probiotics?

Back
Top Bottom