Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
@casportpony I think I am going to treat my group of 3 week old chicks with Corid-- I had one randomly die in the brooder and now upon closer inspection a few others seem smaller and have a squinty-eyed poofy look. I've never had a problem with cocci before, raising chicks every summer for the last three years. I've never even fed medicated feed.

So, picking this stuff up tomorrow, and I have a gallon waterer. Should be pretty simple, right? Not everyone looks like they have a problem, maybe only 3 of 15 chicks. Maybe a "moderate" outbreak, then?

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

Is this still correct? Not sure what type I will come home with tomorrow.

This is the only thing I can think of as being the problem, and I am probably being more preventative than usual. Doesn't hurt even if cocci is not the problem, though, right?

Treat the whole flocks drinking water with the Corid regardless if they all show signs once Cocci is suspected. (It wont hurt them giving healthy ones a dose during a "just in case" time). Good Luck =)

Due to some confusion on dose amounts regarding the powder, I decided to do some research and this is what I have so far. For those of you that use powder Corid, if you have been using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (~270mg) you haven't been using enough.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Hi.

Thank you for this information. Can you please confirm that the amounts you list here are for 1 gallon of the chicken's drinking water?

Thank you.

– Stephen

Due to some confusion on dose amounts regarding the powder, I decided to do some research and this is what I have so far. For those of you that use powder Corid, if you have been using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (~270mg) you haven't been using enough.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Hi.

Thank you for this information. Can you please confirm that the amounts you list here are for 1 gallon of the chicken's drinking water?

Thank you.

– Stephen

Welcome to BYC!

Those amounts are for one US gallon and have been checked several times by many people. They are correct.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi Kathy. Thank you for the reply.

My apologies for not being clear with my question. I understand the formulas are correct. My question was about the amount of water. Is it ONE gallon and is that what I give the chickens or do I need to dilute it further? I am using the solution, not powder.

Thank you!

Stephen

Hi Kathy. Thank you for the reply.

My apologies for not being clear with my question. I understand the formulas are correct. My question was about the amount of water. Is it ONE gallon and is that what I give the chickens or do I need to dilute it further?  I am using the solution, not powder.

Thank you!

Stephen

What size container do you want to use? If you use a quart, divide the amount of Corid by four.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I ended up giving my chickens 5 gallons of water to which I added 3.5 tablespoons of CORID 9.6 oral solution to get close to the .024% treatment dose. Sound close enough?

Stephen

Hi Kathy,

I ended up giving my chickens 5 gallons of water to which I added 3.5 tablespoons of CORID 9.6 oral solution to get close to the .024% treatment dose.  Sound close enough? 

Stephen

Perfect! Remember to make fresh daily and to keep the medicated water in the shade.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom