Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
So the directions for treatment said 16oz per 100 gallons so I kept deciding Dow to 3 gallons and I came up with one table spoon for 3 gallons is that correct?
Due to some confusion on dose amounts regarding the powder, I decided to do some research and this is what I have so far. For those of you that use powder Corid, if you have been using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (~270mg) you haven't been using enough.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Corid mixing instructions for preventative (.006%) and moderate (.012%) outbreak dosing.
http://www.corid.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/CORID Slim Jim-All.pdf

Amprol 20% powder:
http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf

Amprol 9.6% liquid:
http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Here's the math, let me know if I made an error.

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200mg x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 21 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 21 1/2 teaspoons = ~270mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 270 mg divided by 2 = 135mg per 1/4 teaspoon

[rule]
Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

[rule]
Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon

Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid
  • 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

Bottom line, 1 teaspoon (540mg) of powder is equal to 5.625ml of liquid and 1/2 teaspoon powder (270mg) is equal to 2.8125ml liquid.

1/2 teaspoon of 20% powder = 2.8125ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 270mg of amprolium.
3/4 teaspoon of 20% powder = 4.21875ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 405mg of amprolium.
1 teaspoon of 20% powder = 5.625ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 540mg of amprolium.
1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder =8.4375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 810mg of amprolium.
1.75 teaspoons of 20% powder = 9.84375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 945mg of amprolium.
2 teaspoons of 20% powder = 11.25ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 1080mg of amprolium.

[rule]
And if that doesn't convince people, here is another way I did it:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf:

Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder in about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

Facts
  • One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

My twisted math for the .024% level
If 8 ounces (28.35g x 8 = 226.8 grams) are needed for 50 gallons, then 1/50 of that is needed for 1 gallon, right? So that would be 226.8 grams divided by 50 = 4.536 grams per gallon. (doing this as I type, so correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

So how much does a teaspoon of Corid or Amprol powder weigh? Anyone know? Well, time to break out my gram scale and do some weighing... also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them.

Just got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim.

-Kathy

Disclaimer:
In the past I have treated my chicken chicks with 2 teaspoons of the liquid for 5-7 days, that's it, but I *might* try the .006% follow up the next time I have to treat chicks.

So the directions for treatment said 16oz per 100 gallons so I kept deciding Dow to 3 gallons and I came up with one table spoon for 3 gallons is that correct?
That is correct if you want to treat for a "moderate" outbreak, but most people treat for a severe outbreak.

Severe = 0.024% = 2 teapoons/gallon
Moderate = 0.012% = 1 teaspoon/gallon
7-14 days after one of the above = 0.006% = 1/2 teaspoon/gallon

Corid doesn't list directions for poultry, so you have to use the AmproMed or Amprol instructions, all three are exactly the same.

If poultry

DOSAGE LEVEL

MIXING DIRECTIONS

0.024%​

Add 1 pint (16 fluid ounces) of AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution in about 5 gallons of water in a 50 gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.

0.012%​

Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution.

0.006%​

Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of AmproMed
2122.png

0.024% - 1 pint = 473.176473 ml and this will make 50 gallons, so it's 473.176473/50 = 9.46 ml per gallon
AmproMed P For Poultry 9.6% Oral Solution Indications

AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution is intended for the treatment of coccidiosis in growing chickens, turkeys, and laying hens. If no improvement is noted within 3 days, have the diagnosis confirmed and follow the instructions of your veterinarian or poultry pathologist. Losses may result from intercurrent disease or other conditions affecting drug intake which can contribute to the virulence of coccidiosis under field conditions.
USE DIRECTIONS: Give amprolium at the 0.012% level (8 fl oz AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution per 50 gallons) as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for three to five days. (In severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024% level). Continue with 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time.
Use as the sole source of amprolium.

Does all that make sense?

That is correct if you want to treat for a "moderate" outbreak, but most people treat for a severe outbreak. Severe = 0.024% = 2 teapoons/gallon Moderate = 0.012% = 1 teaspoon/gallon 7-14 days after one of the above = 0.006% = 1/2 teaspoon/gallon Corid doesn't list directions for poultry, so you have to use the AmproMed or Amprol instructions, all three are exactly the same. If poultry

DOSAGE LEVEL

MIXING DIRECTIONS

0.024%​

Add 1 pint (16 fluid ounces) of AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution in about 5 gallons of water in a 50 gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.

0.012%​

Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution .

0.006%​

Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of AmproMed
2122.png

0.024% - 1 pint = 473.176473 ml and this will make 50 gallons, so it's 473.176473/50 = 9.46 ml per gallon
AmproMed P For Poultry 9.6% Oral Solution Indications

AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution is intended for the treatment of coccidiosis in growing chickens, turkeys, and laying hens. If no improvement is noted within 3 days, have the diagnosis confirmed and follow the instructions of your veterinarian or poultry pathologist. Losses may result from intercurrent disease or other conditions affecting drug intake which can contribute to the virulence of coccidiosis under field conditions.
USE DIRECTIONS: Give amprolium at the 0.012% level (8 fl oz AmproMed
2122.png
P FOR POULTRY 9.6% Oral Solution per 50 gallons) as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for three to five days. (In severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024% level). Continue with 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time.
Use as the sole source of amprolium.

Does all that make sense?
Thank you so much! The girls are doing much better today I printed out that and put it in a aggie attached to the bottle so I have it. It was very helpful. It's so hard when you're learning things and you can't readily find what your looking for in a pinch. Having baby chics again is like having a newborn and it gets stressful when I have a lack of knowledge. Thank you again!!

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/lets-talk-about-corid-and-cocci.34585/page-2#post-449518
Quote:

The cocci doesn't 'ingest' the thiamine either--it is absorbed thru the cell wall as in all protozoans and single cell entities.
As I stated earlier, it is the Vit B1 as a thiamine transporter that is affected. The things that are taking place are doing so on an extremely tiny physical and metabolic level. Remember--we are not talking about a physically large parasite--we are working against a single cell protozoa n in the case of cocci.
The thiamine transport (B1) is identified as a chemical compound--these are formed on the molecular level. (B1 and thiamine are generically referred to as one and the same as they are inseparable except on the molecular scale)
A vitamen is just a term given to any organic compound the body (any body) cannot make on it's own.

Before we proceed, lets look at how closely the thiamine and amprolium resemble each other:

To answer your question.......
The presence of thiamine continues virtually unabated in the digestive system of the animal (humans included) even if corid is introduced, as long as the same forage or food intake remains the same as before the introduction of Corid.
There is an action, in the capillary system that semi-selectively 'filters' out certain things--it's called the blood brain barrier. The walls of the tiniest parts of the capillary system are only 1 cell thick. Altho it is called the blood brain barrier, the filtered out substances are also kept from the rest of the body as well, since the blood system is mostly all tied together.

Thaimine is needed in the brain, so thiamine gets a pass. Many other things do as well, and some things are more readily passed than others--allowed in greater numbers/volume. Amprolium is one of the things that the barrier has a great affinity for--it goes right on thru. Scientists don't fully understand why or how but they do know it happens with greater ease than with other substances. (Alchohol is one substance that the barrier seem to hardly even acknowlege is there--goes zippin right on thru) Things that are stopped, are expelled via the usual route--kidneys.
That's not to say that thimine is stopped--it is not. But there is a ratio. The more corrid that is present, the more is passed thru the filter, the less thiamen is passed, tho some thiamine always is passed. Since thiamine and amprolem are so close chemical wise, the cocci protozoa absorbs way more of it than it does thiamine. Chemical similarities are there, but they are still 2 completely different things, and the protozoa cannot grow and divide without enough real thiamine.

Can the levels of thiamine be increased by giving supplemental B1 even if Amprolium has been administered? Yes, but that would negate the effectiveness of the Corid. But this is why there are limitations to how much Corid is to be administered. We are not to give so much that there is no thiamine passed thru the blood brain barriers in the capillary system.

The inhibitory effect of amprolium upon thiamine flux across the barrier could be overcome if the concentration of thiamine in the blood plasma was also raised sufficiently (by injecting [14C]thiamine of suitably low specific activity). Thus in the presence of 6 /tM of amprolium the influx of thiamine into the brain was reduced to some 30 % of the normal (Fig. 3). In two further experiments, in which this inhibitory level of amprolium was present, when the concentration of free thiamine in the blood plasma was also raised about four times from approximately 1 to 3-1 or 4-5 /SM, the influx was doubled, reaching approximately 60 % of the normal value.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom