UPDATED (photos)!!Virgin Birth/can bunnies do it thru hardware cloth?

farmin'chick :

Also, rabbits are one species that can reproduce by parthenogenesis -- that is, without a male. If they do, all babies will be does.

Really? Now that is one I have definitely not heard!! So it would be kind of like 'doe cloning'? She just makes itty-bitty copies of herself? I wonder what would cause them to do that?​

I have also bred rabbits for years and I am also a 4-H small animal leader and don't believe that (storing sperm) is true. I agree with momto5rascals2angels, they can be bred when already pg, or bred as soon as they give birth, but they can't store sperm, sperm won't live that long.

My guess is someone bred your rabbit at fair, it happens. We have had lots of things happen at fair, many not as "nice" as an unexpected litter. Unfortunately some people think they are being funny or this is the only way they can win.

Enjoy you sweet little ones, I am sure they are adorable!

Last edited:
Vicki2x2 - I think you probably have it right: Someone was fiddling with this doe. It is highly unllikely that she conceived right after arriving home from fair. Our bunnies were kept apart. As for parthenogenesis, my other half (the scientist) is not buying it.

I think that someone may have thought it was "funny" to breed some rabbits OR it might have been some sort of prank on my DD, because she was not interested in sharing her buck with a couple of people who asked. I dunno.

I THINK I WILL CHALK THIS UP TO "MYSTERY." And, yes, I pray to enjoy these gorgeous little surprises!!!
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

farmin'chick :

Usually some kind of irritant -- or the need to reproduce when no buck is available. Not many species do it, but rabbits can, although it's rare.

Soo..are you pulling my leg..or are you telling me that rabbits dont need a male (i.e. sperm) to get knocked up?? uh...
hmm.png

I got one of my degrees in zoology and I was going to say that parthenogenesis is unknown in mammals, but I found this on Wikipedia. Apparently it can be induced in rabbits in laboratory conditions.

There are no known cases of naturally-occurring mammalian parthenogenesis in the wild. However, in 1936, Gregory Goodwin Pincus reported successfully inducing parthenogenesis in a rabbit.

Edited to add that Mom posted as I was typing - yeah, what she said! LOL​

Last edited:
Rabbits can mate through hardware cloth! We had it happen at least twice when I was growing up- we had a rabbit hutch that was divided into sections with hardware cloth. We thought we were being smart by keeping the male and female separated but she definitely got pregnant through the wire!

I saw the male at it one time, it was pretty funny! They're pretty determined little buggers!
I don't think your solution is any more complicated than that, although fair-mating conspiracies and parthenogenesis are way more interesting theories! Lol
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom