Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

Pics
I'm bummed, my roommate turned down the temp and she thawed and rotted, so I didn't get to do her. However, I do have another for everyone to  practice their diagnostic skills on. Need to gather my notes and put together a post on him. For those that like the nasty necropsy photos, you won't be disappointed!

-Kathy
Anxiously waiting for another necropsy. :) Its to bad you did get to do one on that hen.

Okay, so I found my beloved rooster named Wingman sitting in the bushes one night, so I brought him in. During his brief exam I noticed the his comb was purple, he was a little thin, he had a sore below his vent, was having trouble breathing, had lice, had green poop and his crop was huge and hard, like completely pack full of food. I dusted him for lice and that almost killed him... His comb went all purple, he started doing the death thing, but somehow he recovered. Since his crop was packed full of feed I tubed 120ml warmed Pedialyte, massaged his crop and put him in an 80 degree room. By morning his crop had gone down, but I could still feel the seed, so I tubed another 120ml, wormed him and gave Baytril. Did the fluids one more time then started him on baby bird food. By this time his poop was returning to normal, but his comb was still a little purple, so I continued tubing and decided to worm very aggressively and wormed again. I guess this went on for several days, poop looked normal in color, but small in size and his crop had no seed in it and I would clear, albeit slowly.

Any questions?

-Kathy
Missed this posting.

Being he had a sore, I could imagine some infection or sepsis compounded by anemia.  Or anemia causing weakness,  and inability to fight common infection.

His comb was pretty red under the purple, lol, so don't think he was that anemic, but the sore and sepsis, from it, very possible. I guess this case is important to anyone that would have diagnosed and treated for a crop impaction.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom