Urgent help to safely integrate adult turkeys with adult hens

Rachyhen

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
I saved two 5 month old turkey girls, Blodwen and Dilys, from the Christmas dinner table in November to live with my ex-commercial hens but the first couple of encounters were a full on chase and attack by the turkeys. I have them separated for the time being with just chicken wire between them as I am very worried for my older hens. They also chase my cats with intent until the cat escapes!!! I feed everyone close to each other each side of the wire fence but it doesn't seem to be getting any better as my turkeys girls even peck the hens faces quite viciously through the fence. I had not intended keeping everyone separated and it makes life complicated, especially at bedtime and in the mornings. I need urgent help please as I don't want anyone to get hurt and this is making me really very sad 😿

I saved two 5 month old turkey girls, Blodwen and Dilys, from the Christmas dinner table in November to live with my ex-commercial hens but the first couple of encounters were a full on chase and attack by the turkeys. I have them separated for the time being with just chicken wire between them as I am very worried for my older hens. They also chase my cats with intent until the cat escapes!!! I feed everyone close to each other each side of the wire fence but it doesn't seem to be getting any better as my turkeys girls even peck the hens faces quite viciously through the fence. I had not intended keeping everyone separated and it makes life complicated, especially at bedtime and in the mornings. I need urgent help please as I don't want anyone to get hurt and this is making me really very sad 😿
It's not goiing to get any better. Keep the chickens in their pen and the turkeys in their own pen..

Are you talking from experience? I would so love to see them all roaming happily together:love
When a turkey gets its mind set on doing something, it won't quit until it gets the job done. Your turkeys have it in for your chickens. If you force them to be together, it will end badly for the chickens.

My turks used to attack my chickens but after a month having chicken wire between them they were all cool. Mine are still cool with it as long as they arent provoked. It also depends on breed, mine a blue slate/bronze which are mostly docile breeds.

My turks used to attack my chickens but after a month having chicken wire between them they were all cool. Mine are still cool with it as long as they aren't provoked. It also depends on breed, mine a blue slate/bronze which are mostly docile breeds.
FYI all domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You have different varieties of turkeys, not different breeds of turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom