Urgent help to safely integrate adult turkeys with adult hens

Are you talking from experience? I would so love to see them all roaming happily together:love
We have 37 chickens that I adore and we have 15 turkey poults coming in June, and they will have separate living accommodations. The size of a turkey compared to a chicken, without any hostilities, could lead to accidental death and injury. I wouldn't want to take the risk. Since your turkeys already have murderous intent, I can't see it going how you picture it.

We have 37 chickens that I adore and we have 15 turkey poults coming in June, and they will have separate living accommodations. The size of a turkey compared to a chicken, without any hostilities, could lead to accidental death and injury. I wouldn't want to take the risk. Since your turkeys already have murderous intent, I can't see it going how you picture it.
Sadly, I agree:(

FYI all domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You have different varieties of turkeys, not different breeds of turkeys.
My turks used to attack my chickens but after a month having chicken wire between them they were all cool. Mine are still cool with it as long as they arent provoked. It also depends on breed, mine a blue slate/bronze which are mostly docile breeds.
Thank you, this gives me some hope for the future:) I'm not sure which breed they are .. they are black and not very big! I know little about turkeys ... I just wanted to give them the life they deserve:)

Pardon my extreme ignorance, maybe @R2elk can answer this for me, or @Molpet, I know you guys have a lot of experience with turkeys ... but did I not read at some point not to keep turkeys and chickens together because turkeys can get a disease from chickens, something called blackhead, I believe? 🤔

Pardon my extreme ignorance, maybe @R2elk can answer this for me, or @Molpet, I know you guys have a lot of experience with turkeys ... but did I not read at some point not to keep turkeys and chickens together because turkeys can get a disease from chickens, something called blackhead, I believe? 🤔
Yes if it in the area. Blackhead is not a problem at my place, at least not yet. A wild could always bring in disease.

Yes, I understand that blackhead can be a concern for turkeys on ground used by chickens. However, I decided the risk to my 2 turkey girls was worth taking as I rescued them a week before slaughter. For now, anyway, they are living their best life and have both just laid their first eggs:wee:wee (the eggs they were never meant to have laid) It has taken them at least 2 weeks to prepare for that big day and I have enjoyed watching their change in character!! My turkey girls are facsinating and adoreable (even if they do want to eat my chickens !!!)🙀

Back
Top Bottom