URGENT | Hen with paralyzed leg!

11ChickenGirl11

Chirping
Apr 29, 2015
Northeast USA
While my family and I were gone on vacation, our neighbors were taking care of the chickens. When we got back (last night), they said that one of the chickens had a broken leg and wouldn't step on that leg. They were on vacation for a couple days as well, during which some family friends took care of the chickens. We believe that they caused it. The neighbors said that this has been going on for at least 3(!) weeks.

Bullet's Symptoms/Issues:
  • Will not step on right leg and it is very weak(I checked and there is no visible breakage and she can still move her leg)
  • Lethargic and huddled in a corner
  • Droppings are watery and bright green (like grass green)
  • Slightly underweight or bony
  • Comb is slightly black/purple at the tips (frostbite?)
  • Other chickens are bullying Bullet
  • Almost all feathers on back, tail, and vent are gone (my rooster caused this, it is the same on my other BPR, just not as bad)
I have not yet done a physical examination. Thankfully, she is eating some moistened layer pellets and drinking.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures that I just took:
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4375.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG

UPDATE:
Bullet has LICE. I was feeding her and had a thought, so I checked under her hackle feathers, and there were some light orange colored lice.

I will be going to the feed store soon (today or tomorrow) to get some things for Bullet.

In addition to treating for lice make sure to give some electrolyte mineral supplement

Yes, I have some Sav-a-Chick electrolytes that I put in her water several hours ago.
I also mixed some of the electrolyte water in with some feed to moisten it, and Bullet ate some of it.
I checked her over, and the lice seem to have all died. In about a week I will reapply (ProZap Poultry Dust) to make sure they are all gone.
At this point, I am thinking that Bullet has dry fowl pox and possibly Marek's or Newcastle's (although I hope it's not!). Any opinions would be helpful.

Nothing in the images points to fowl pox. If it was Marek's or Newcastle your entire flock would be dead by now (more than 3 weeks is ample time for those contagious diseases to wipe them all out).

Nothing in the images points to fowl pox. If it was Marek's or Newcastle your entire flock would be dead by now (more than 3 weeks is ample time for those contagious diseases to wipe them all out).

The reason why I think Bullet has fowl pox is her comb:
IMG_4390.JPG

It is good to know that it is not Marek's or another contagious disease.
Today, Bullet seems to be more active and alert. I am glad I put the electrolytes in her water.
However, her most recent poop is not looking very good, maybe it is due to the heat?
IMG_4392.JPG

Her comb looks like she has been pecked or damaged it on fencing, perhaps running from danger. She could be having problems getting enough to eat and drink with her sore leg. Her feathers seem to be growing back in, but these new feather shafts can be attractive for the other chickens to pull out and eat. So to force her to rest her leg, and be able to reach food, a I would place her in a large wire dog crate with her own food and water. Give her some probiotics or a tsp of plain Chobani or other good brand of yogurt, which might help her diarrhea. Give her 1/2 of a human vitamin B complex tablet crushed into her food daily, or use a poultry vitamin while she recuperates. Offer some chopped egg, liver, or tuna for extra protein and coaxing her to eat. If the diarrhea continues, you might consider getting a vet to look at her droppings for possible worms or coccidiosis.

Hopefully, she is just dealing with a leg injury and not something like Mareks disease. The vitamins may help, and I would also look for any scabs on her foot pad, or any redness or swelling of her joints or entire leg.

I gave Bullet some plain yogurt and she seemed to like it, so that is good. I don't want to give her too much and worsen her diarrhea, though.
Just right now, when I was checking in on Bullet, her foot was placed exactly and toes curled just like the B2 deficiency. I hope it's that and not something else because I believe when our family friends were looking after the chickens, they may have "over dosed" the BOSS, as the two whole gallons of it were gone, providing a real reason as to how this may have happened.
I don't have a real poultry vitamin, but I do have eCOTRITION Vita-Sol, which I use for my budgie. Would that work? There is an analysis and feeding directions online.

Back
Top Bottom