URGENT: My Turkey hen was degloved by a predator.

Sleep_Deprived

Chirping
Nov 5, 2019
My Turkey hen was degloved by a predator last night, and from under her wing to her chest her skin was pulled off and down. It was hanging in a large flap of feathers and skin, we pinned it back together after cleaning it out and wrapped her in bandages, but she won’t leave the bandages alone. She keeps getting them off somehow, even after we put a t-shirt over them so she couldn’t get to them. After looking all over our area fish penicillin is the only antibiotic available, which is 250mg tablets. It says to put it in water but she isn’t drinking that much right now and I’m afraid it won’t be enough to help her. If I was to crush it up and give it to her orally how much of a pill should I give her? What other steps can I take to make sure her wound closes and she survives?

My Turkey hen was degloved by a predator last night, and from under her wing to her chest her skin was pulled off and down. It was hanging in a large flap of feathers and skin, we pinned it back together after cleaning it out and wrapped her in bandages, but she won’t leave the bandages alone. She keeps getting them off somehow, even after we put a t-shirt over them so she couldn’t get to them. After looking all over our area fish penicillin is the only antibiotic available, which is 250mg tablets. It says to put it in water but she isn’t drinking that much right now and I’m afraid it won’t be enough to help her. If I was to crush it up and give it to her orally how much of a pill should I give her? What other steps can I take to make sure her wound closes and she survives?
@casportpony

How much does your turkey weigh? If you want to give amoxicillin, she needs 57 mg per pound of body weight twice a day, and I would give them orally.

Can you post a picture of her?

How much does your turkey weigh? If you want to give amoxicillin, she needs 57 mg per pound of body weight twice a day, and I would give them orally.

Can you post a picture of her?
I’m not sure her exact weight, I would say somewhere around twelve pounds, she’s a full grown bronze heritage hen. The only photos I have of her right now are after she’s been treated and sitting down with her bandages. I can go get one of the treated wound if it will help. The image I attached below is the only antibiotic in the area, and everything else would take multiple weeks to get here.

Attachments

• AC856268-FA57-44D4-AFE0-83F1ACFA18F5.jpeg
    AC856268-FA57-44D4-AFE0-83F1ACFA18F5.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 17
Be sure to keep your hen separated from the tom until she is healed. Breeding injuries usually occur for two reasons. One is having multiple toms in with too few hens. Two is a tom having access to a hen's nest and the injury occurs due to the hen trying to resist the attempt.

Get a saddle for your hen before you let her back in with the tom.

Back
Top Bottom