URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

Iamgrateful

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Our female duck has a prolapsed vent that appears to have an egg hanging inside of it. Its very gooey and infected looking. Is there anything that can be done or should it be put down?

I haven't tried anything yet as I have no idea what to do. We will put her in a warm bath right now. Her whole uterus is hanging out as well but it is big and round as if there is an egg inside. any other suggestions would be so much appreciated as I've never dealt with this before.

Do you have a vet?

When my snake had a prolapse, I cleaned her up, gently wiped K-Y Jelly on her prolapse, and reinserted it with a rectal thermometer.

This sounds very serious, but I wanted to share the idea. Some people get the prolapse back in place and have the cloaca stitched so that it holds better.

She needs to be alone in a clean, dry place after her bath, with bedding that won't stick to her, and she needs to be in the dark to deactivate her egg-laying system.

Last edited:
There are no vets in our area that will treat ducks. If there is an egg inside the part hanging out, can it eventually work its way out? Or does the egg need to be broke and the whole thing pushed back in for it to come out?

It cleaned up a bit in the bath and it now looks like a big round red sack hanging out. Just don't know what to do and feel helpless.

Last edited:
She has been soaking in a warm bath for about an hour - should I take her out now and put her in a dry dark place for the night?

Is there anything else I can do tonight? Is it OK that she eats?

This may be beyond help. I hate to say that, and I wish someone with more experience with this would chime in here, since I don't want you to have to euthanize her just on my feelings based on your descriptions. It's very helpful, the forum, but not perfect.

Can you gently feel the prolapse? Is it hard like an egg, or not?

I am racking my brain trying to think of something you can try.

Last edited:
Would you be willing/able to post a pic? I've no experience with this either, but pics do help others to get a better idea of what's going on.

Skunks are very prone to prolapse. I don't know if it will work with the duck, but with a skunk you use either sugar or prep H (both take the swelling down.) wait a few minutes and then gently push it back in. I would do the warm bath again before trying anything else. You want it clean. And do keep it in the dark. Did you try doing a search for prolapse duck? Maybe there's something better out there.

Back
Top Bottom