URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

What we mean by end of the tube.. There has to be an "exit point" there somewhere. That's what usually spits the egg OUT, but generally this part stays IN the duck. In a perfect world, of course.

Wait- I wonder if there is no opening? Maybe this is just a LOOP hanging out, if you're not seeing an openin that'd have to be it. In that case, it ALL has to go back inside. Egg and all.

My husband is going to hold her in a few minutes so I can get a real good look and see if I can find an opening. I think I'm so afraid I will puncture something as I dont really know what I'm doing. :( Gotta try though...so do I just put lubricant on the opening if I find one?

OMG if its all a big loop with no opening...how on earth would I push it all back inside without breaking the egg?

Yes. Try to get lubricant up in there. If you have a medicine syringe with a plunger that would be great, or just a dropper. But if not clean hands will work. Disclaimer, I've not done this like I said, and I hope if someone has they will take over-- but I'm telling you what I would do were it my duck. Amiga will have ideas too, I know.

If there is no opening we'll cross that when we come to it. Just let us know when you get a good look! Does it seem to be bothering her at all?

Last edited:
She has just been floating in the tube...she doesnt seem to be in pain that I can tell. Once ina while some bubbles come out and she looks like she is still trying to push the egg out. Poor Minnie....I want to help her so bad. I will let you know in a little while if I could find an opening or what I see. Thank you for sticking with me...

Has she laid eggs before? If so, there is an exit for the egg. But if the tissue is swollen and misplaced, it could be tricky to find it.

I am going to guess you'll find it, help her work the egg out, then you can help her by getting the prolapse back inside her.

The opening may be near where it usually is, with the egg and oviduct section kind of off to the side.

Last edited:
Yes. No drinking the salt! :)

And on that note, I don't think she should eat/drink for now like you asked.. It does all have to come out the same place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom