URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

More of a poopy smell I think....I dunno though...it just smelled bad!

I dont have prep-H but could get some at the store if I can find one open. Or in the morning. I have her in a cage with blankets now.

I would make a super concentrated sugar solution. As much sugar as you can dissolve in water. This will "pull" the inflammation out so to speak. When my vet did this to our hen the swelling shrunk immediately. You cover the prolapse with the solution. If you can reduce the swelling you might be able to get a better idea if there is an egg stuck. If there is.. and it wont come out she will develop Peritonitis which is an infection of the belly.

Like Amiga said, that really needs to stay moist. Dried out will be even worse. I know you feel so overwhelmed right now. :confused:g:

She may not be able to go, now, because of the problem.

This is really something a vet needs to deal with. And I know, sometimes that just isn't an option. But if this is a prolapse, the tissue needs to go back inside some time, or that's it.

Using Prep H, which is supposed to reduce swelling in tissues, might - maybe - reduce the swelling and allow you to try to lubricate (like with triple antibiotic ointment) and replace the tissue. Right now I think it's blocking her cloaca so she cannot go anyway right now.

Also, the condition of the tissue looks like it may have been like this for more than just a few hours. I don't know, though. Anyway, infection is a big risk here, too.

Is there any sort of wildlife rehab, medical school, some kind of resource you might tap to help with this?

No resources in this area that I can find. No vets that treat birds in this area and no real big amount of money to spend for treatment available right now. :( I feel so sad about this. Her mate Donnie is going to be heartbroken and I feel like we are going to have to end up putting her down.

This is a very sucky night....she is a good duck and the first one I ever had.
sad.png

I do wish there was a reasonable vet that would treat birds around here.

I would. Do you have any vet-wrap or the human equivalent? And make sure you have plenty of triple antibiotic ointment, not the pain-relief kind.

I might also consider an Epsom salts compress before the preparation H.

hugs.gif

When should I check back in here? I can set my alarm.

OK heading to the store now. Do I just cover the whole 'ball' with the prep-H? How do I make an epson salt compress or do they sell them?

I also have some "Vetericyn" wound and infection treatment...should I spray a bit of that on as well?

This is so stressful...I dont want her to die.

Back
Top Bottom