URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

Ok so I flipped her over and tried hard to find an opening. I couldn't find anything that resembled an opening. The whole ball hanging out feels mushy, not hard so I'm not sure there is any egg inside. It is bigger than an apple. I am at a loss...

Here is a picture of what I was looking at.

Okay. Is that dirt on there? Or is it just crusty? And is that a lip I see around the edge? Like, the starting of where this needs to go back into? Ugh.

Edit: that's not an opening, the middle of the crusty part? It looks like it all "comes together" in that area but may just be the pic.

Last edited:
I tried to look under it and I couldn't see any opening anywhere....I'm so frustrated.

I don't think it is dirt...it is a bit smelly and crusty. Kind of looks infected....?

Do you know that this just happened? I'm about to tap out. I'm not sure what to do. If it weren't all having to come out the same hole I'd say try and wet dress it and give the dust some time to settle.. But I can't make sense of what I'm seeing and it sounds like you are having a hard time too. I sure wish someone else had seen this before.

What kind of smell? Poop smell, or necrotizing smell?

Ooh Amiga- if that's not dirt/crust on there, you may be onto something. Look at that coloring and surface. Ugh. I wish I knew what to say.

Last edited:
It feels heavy when I touched it and almost like it was filled with fluid or something. It just happened as far as I know. The last couple mornings I noticed she has been staying in her house and she usually comes out, but I thought she was probably just laying. When I let her out of her pen today I didn't see that thing hanging out and neither did my husband...but then all the sudden we saw it hanging there.

I appreciate all the help...so kind of you all to give ideas of what to do and for being concerned. I'm just bummed that this stuff has to happen.

I would clean it with mild soapy water, put preparation H on it, wrap it with no-stick gauze and then wrap the tail to try to hold the bandage on. Put her in a small but comfy box or crate with clean bedding in a safe place, no lights, and check on her in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom