Used feeders/waterers from garage sale - okay or no?

Look it over well and if you don’t see evidence of chewed wiring it will probably be fine.

Watching it is also good.

If you want to be overly abundantly cautious, either make sure it’s plugged into a GFCI circuit, or you could get a short GFCI extension to plug it into.

I use one myself.

One other pro tip, those galvanized metal waterers. Don’t put the top on the bottom and carry the whole thing by the top handle. It’ll eventually break the spot welds that hold the handle on and cause an air leak. Air leak = loss of vacuum = all your water slowly coming out over the course of 8-10 hours. Instead, carry by the heavier duty handle in the bottom and put the top on when you get to the coop/run.
I bought one new this year and it was pretty pricy at TSC. My ducklings had quit using it and it had water in the bottom that I did not notice. By the time I saw it, it had rust in it and was ruined. I have a plastic one now I will use. Be sure to keep it clean or yours may rust too. I was surprised that it did with what it cost. I should have checked it though so it was my fault.

I bought one new this year and it was pretty pricy at TSC. My ducklings had quit using it and it had water in the bottom that I did not notice. By the time I saw it, it had rust in it and was ruined. I have a plastic one now I will use. Be sure to keep it clean or yours may rust too. I was surprised that it did with what it cost. I should have checked it though so it was my fault.
I was wondering how well they hold up. I’m surprised they would rust for the price, too. It shocks me how much they charge for the dang things only to have them rust.

You are most welcome. It's hard to get the green out without something like that so I just do a lot of scrubbing. Someone said the use of the apple cider vinegar helps to deter the algae. I have never tried it though.
People do use vinegar in place of cleaning products so I’m not surprised that this would work. Because someone pointed out that it would ruin the galvanized steel ones, (which I didn’t know!) I won’t be using any in those. But I will definitely be trying this in my plastic feeders and waterers now 🙂

Look it over well and if you don’t see evidence of chewed wiring it will probably be fine.

Watching it is also good.

If you want to be overly abundantly cautious, either make sure it’s plugged into a GFCI circuit, or you could get a short GFCI extension to plug it into.

I use one myself.

One other pro tip, those galvanized metal waterers. Don’t put the top on the bottom and carry the whole thing by the top handle. It’ll eventually break the spot welds that hold the handle on and cause an air leak. Air leak = loss of vacuum = all your water slowly coming out over the course of 8-10 hours. Instead, carry by the heavier duty handle in the bottom and put the top on when you get to the coop/run.
Thank you so much for this. I would’ve been using the handle on top. This is my first waterer like this and I wasn’t aware of that.

If you see any rust on it, don't use it. Cleaning galvanized metal only use soap, no bleach or acid bases it will corrode the metal. Sun dry it.
Good to know. I’ll inspect everything closer tomorrow and make sure there is no rust and give everything a good rinse and sun dry for a few days. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom