using a chest freezer for a coop

BBK

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
upstate NY
I'm getting a chest freezer off of freecycle and we're going to turn it into a coop for my silkies and polish.

Dh said if we took the motor off, it would weigh less and it's already insulated and water proof. Cutting a pop door in it wouldn't be a problem either...
last yr we put up all kinds of plastic and wood to keep them from the cold. i think this would be better. and will put up burlap again around the whole coop.

what do you think.?

I don't have many bantam chicks. 6 total...we're getting a 64" long one.

Freecycle, worked wonderfully-I got 5 responses.

Melinda

If it were I, I'd remove the door, lay the chest on its side with the opening facing east. Then I'd make a hinged door with vents on the top out of wood that had a window and pop door. When I wanted the eggs, I could reach in from the front or use a short rake to rake them out.

Quote:
I like your idea joebryant!
thumbsup.gif

I wanted to do that for my chickens, but my dad didn't like the idea. I thought I was the greatest mind that ever fell from the sky! He said it was too redneck and it wouldn't be big enough. I, personally love that idea! Great minds think alike!
cool.png

I wasn't really concern about the ventilation. One the pop door would be open all day. In the summer i would put a 2X4 to ajar the top and of course close it at night. I think if I took the top off, it would defeat the purpose. I need insulation for the winter months. My only problem i see is figuring out a way to protect the pop door from getting rain inside...I may have to make some kind of porch...

About the redneck-ish...i was going to paint it to blend in with the surroundings....I don't think it would look good, stark white in the middle of lush greens and browns....

On size, i've been offer an eight footer (freecycle)...But that's to big for my run... I bought a dog run, chain linked 8X10...6'high.
I've gone around it with that small rabbit wire, bottom. plus added chicken fence in the back part.

I've also ran rabbit wire from the inside all the way around the bottom....I couldn't dig in the ground...I'm not strong enough.
Any other thoughts....just trying to see if I forgot anything..

Oh, i forgot to say...That I got 2 great heavy duty plastic 1X1" squared netting 8' by 10'(off FREECYCLE) to replace the thin stuff i bought to go over the top.... I'm so glad I covered the top, too...My hubby spotted a hawk in one of our trees in the back, scoping out the chickies...

thanks

Melinda

Info on FREECYCLE...google it for your town, city, neighboring towns too...and sign up...You'll get emails when someone has something to offer...it's a great way to find *THAT* thing you been looking for, all of your life, and maybe for FREE...
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom