Using the egg cartoon methods with shipped eggs??

I have a problem, because I have a second batch of eggs that are only due to hatch 10 days after the first, I need to leave them in the automatic turner with it on. I placed the eggs that should be hatching tomorrow on the opposit side of the incubator, in cutdown egg cartoons. I figured while I am out of the house I will unplug the turner, in case a chick hatches while I am away, it won't get crushed by the turning trays. Does that sound like a good plan? Lol, I got to be so creative with eggs that have multiple hatch dates all in one incubator!

Last edited:
When I place the small piece of egg cartoon into my incubator, the temperature went up to 101F. My incubator is a Styrophome Gensis 1533 with a fan and an automatic turner. Is this temperature dangerous? Is there anything I should do? Why does this tiny piece of egg cartoon cause the temperature to go up a degree?

Thanks!

I'm not sure why the egg carton would make a difference it has not made a difference in my incubator I have Brinsea octagon 20 advance EX. I would give it time though to settle try not to alter the thermostat till it has settled and evened out. If it continues at that temp I would then turn it down a notch but again let it settle before making more adjustments. Yes turning the turner off when your not there good idea. I don't do staggered hatches as think I would find it too stressful :he

The strangest thing I have ever experienced! The temp stays at 101F with egg cartoon in the incubator, so I just placed the plastic turner piece on the floor of the incubator with the egg just sitting in it and the temp immediately went back to 100F. It is really bizzare! I guess I will just let them hatch in the disconnect turner tray! What else can I do! Does that sound like a good plan?

All this worrying for a few fluff balls! Just crazy!

Last edited:
i tried to upload a pic, but it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Temp fluctuations at the end end of incubation are not as critical as the beginning of it. Maybe the egg carton is just disturbing the air distribution in the incubator. So it would be the ones that are not ready to hatch that would be affected more or that is how I have read it. I think you need to do what you feel is best. Good luck and I do hope you get lots of little balls of fluff :jumpy

Yup, I hope so too! It is first time I am attempting to hatch upright! I will see what all the fuss is about! Things are back to normal, so I will leave the eggs in the turner tray!

Thanks!

I want to try this - do I understand you put the eggs in on their sides until day 18 for chickens, then put in the cardboard carton and stand the eggs in it, big end up for hatching? I didn't have the best luck with my first hatch, but I was given the eggs and suspect they may have been too old for good hatchability when I put them in the incubator. Does this work with turkey eggs as well? For turkeys what day do I put them in the cardboard carton? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom