Using the egg cartoon methods with shipped eggs??

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. The incubation period for turkeys is 28 days so you would stop turning and put into egg cartons on day 25. I don't have experience of hatching turkeys but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work for them. If you don't have an auto turner and just lay your eggs on their sides during the first 18 days (chickens) for hand turning then yes you would put them into egg cartons on day 18 with fat end up. You can do your whole incubation in egg cartons by propping the egg carton up on one side and then when you turn put that side down and then prop the other side up that is sufficient movement to keep the developing embryo moving and not sticking in the shell. Eggs need to be turned at 3 times a day 5 is better. There are many factors for eggs not hatching -
Temperature
Humidity
How often eggs are turned
Parent stock which the eggs came from
Age of eggs
How eggs are stored prior to incubation.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your future hatches :frow

Thank you. I am definitely going to try this method. It would be much easier to move the carton one way and then another than individually turn each egg every time. The first couple of turkey eggs my Bourbon Red hens gave me didn't seem to be fertile, but I have high hopes for the 5 in the incubator now. I'll be happy if I just get 1 or 2 of them to hatch. I bought a dozen Ameracauna eggs Friday that I put in the incubator right away. Hopefully I'll see good results with those as well.

So out of 4 eggs, one hatched, but broke the shell all around, but never broke the membrane. So 36 hours after the first pip I help break the membrane and the chick popped out! The other 3 chicks seem to have died exactly around day 18. I have no idea why? I moved them into the egg cartoon on day 18, then I uped the himudity to 65 and I did notice the temp went up to 101F!!! Not sure why! Help me understand what I did wrong???

This is so frustrating! Now I have this poor chick that is all by itself!

Sorry to hear you only had one hatch :hugs your temp maybe went up because the carton disturbed the air flow in your incubator or it could be that as chicks get to the end of incubation they start to produce their own body heat. There could be so many reasons why they haven't hatched. I would have a look in the learning centre there is a section on diagnosing hatch failures. sometimes there just isn't a reason the chicks were just not meant be and its natures way. I know it frustrating but good luck with your chick and any future hatches :frow

Last edited:
I looked at the dead babies and I realized my humidity was too high! There is always next time!

Quote:
Hi, My experience deviates just a tad. For day 1-18 I used the bottom of the egg carton and then for lock down I used the top of the egg carton, using the air vents to stabilize the eggs... Worked great for me! Will try to post pics below.

As you can see with the egg to the far left, it is propped up on the air vent.
This worked great for me and I will be doing the same with the batch that should introduce themselves next week...same thing, shipped eggs with the wonkiest air cells I have ever seen!
Best wishes for a great hatch.

I am wondering if everyone stores their shipped eggs for 24 hours before beginning incubation? Adding this step has tremendously increased my hatch rate. I unpack the eggs, place in an egg carton with the small end down, and place the carton on a secluded shelf for the span of a day. This allows the air cell to settle and allows the temperature of the eggs to slowly equalize at room temperature before starting incubation. I do also sit the eggs vertically in the incubator instead of lying on the side. This works really well for me!

Yes I always leave for 24 hours at room temp to settle. I also set very upright in the incubator between the dividers and hatch in egg cartons. I like the egg carton method and have even started doing normal eggs this way. I feel it stops the hatched chicks bashing the eggs round the incubator. Plus with the eggs stationary in cartons I feel it's easier to spot and keep an eye on any pips and the progress of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom