USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
I am actually surprised that baby chicks have been allowed to ship through the mail over the past several years given the consistent drama with the US Postal Service. All I can say is that I have received hundreds of baby chicks through the mail going back over 50 years and have never had a single one DOA and that never ceases to amaze me. And this embargo likely has very little to do with the weather; just a way to get the ball rolling to a permanent ban.
That’s exactly where I think this is heading.
It certainly

Can't hurt to contact your state reps to give them our "two cents" esp. if someone doesn't want this to become an ongoing issue! I don't want this to become a norm in my state. The mail has been an issue where I live pre-christmas. Boxes I mailed to my daughter in Oct sat for a month in Greensboro then were "in transit" until January. This would not have been well for babies of any species. They need priority services..American people have the right to purchase and raise their own food sources.🇺🇲
Amen! I never want to be completely dependent on someone else for food or other necessary things. Especially the government they’ve shown that they don’t have our best interests at heart like they claim too.

We've received DOAs, but usually they're more likely something wrong with the chick since we either don't lose any or we get a doa or 2 and then lose a few smaller, sickly ones later
In the last 3 years I have only had 1 DOA and 1 died within 2hours of getting it home and in the brooder on 2/8/21, the other 17 egg laying chicks are just fine. Iam glad that I got them when I did, but my next order of meat chicken chicks has been canceled by the hatchery.

Does anyone else have a shipment of chicks next week that is now embargoed?
I'm only on page 1 of this thread.

I got the same email from Ideal yesterday who I'm not expecting chicks from But I am expecting chicks from Cackle hatchery next week who I haven't heard anything about the Embargo from YET.
1613755716364.png

Thing is as far as I could tell.. the embargo only applied to AIR transportation (like express) and NOT ground. What it means is that some folks will get their chick orders a week or two later and the chicks will be sent out to feed store or others using ground transport.. PERHAPS... is my best GUESS.

Either was.. my assessment says it's temporary due to weather not legislation and with NO need to contact our state regulators THIS time.

I was glad to see that someone cared enough about animal lives to recognize the weather is in an extreme pattern instead of just trying to maintain BUSINESS as usual and serve the all mighty dollar.

Still so interesting to seed how things continue to change! :pop

Last edited:
That’s exactly where I think this is heading.

Amen! I never want to be completely dependent on someone else for food or other necessary things. Especially the government they’ve shown that they don’t have our best interests at heart like they claim too.
"The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse." -- James Madison

They probably want a raise in wages.
This is exactly what is happening. The Postal Workers Union has postal employees on a work slow down due to the new director asking them to get off their lazy asses and do the job they are getting paid very well to do. The post office has eliminated all overtime and are trying to make a very inefficient system profitable, and the union is screwing with all of us in an attempt to get everyone in an uproar and on our elected officials cases. The problem lies with the postal workers, not the government. They want more for doing less. Welcome to the new America!!!

Back
Top Bottom