USPS embargo on live animals (chicks) through Feb 26, 2021!

Pics
We received our chicks on Thursday that had been sent on Monday. Unlike past years when the PO would call us at 5am, no one called this time. About 10am I asked my husband to drive over to the PO to see if something was there for us. Sure enough, there they sat cold and on the floor. He quickly got them into his warm truck and I spent two hours warming them up when they got home. Two of the 26 were DOA and we have lost 7 more. some just never recovered and I expected them to fail. Today I felt like we were past the worst part since they were all running around in the brooder acting like happy little chicks. Then we went out to pick up some coop project supplies (ha!) and came home to another one dead.
My concerns are many. My order was supposed to ship in early Feb but due to the weather they could not ship until this week. Hatcheries hatch eggs on a schedule to meet their orders. So how do they fulfill all of these back orders when they can finally ship? I order from the same hatchery every time and have a loss of 1, maybe 2 at the most. But now we have lost 9! Was it the 72 hours in cold temps with less care than the USPS has given in the past? Did I just get a bad batch? Even though my brooder set up has not changed from past years...am I doing something wrong? The one tonight had been acting perfectly normal all day, doing what chicks do. It had a full crop when I found it. We have nipple water feeders so I know it did not drown. There was no blood or other signs of "fowl play." The heater is on and plenty warm but the chick was at the opposite end of the brooder where we keep the food and water. What is going on?
I'm sad for what these little birds have gone thru.

I think that everything may have slowed down due to something I heard of last year. It was something about switching mechanical mail sorting machines with people? As far a priorities, I understand with meds, but things like Amazon orders of useless things that people are pushing to have within a couple of days shouldn't be above any living creature. The baby chicks who needs to be shipped within 48 hours or less should be priority over something useless to survival such as something that can handle being in the mail a couple of days longer. :(
{Emphasis mine}

So the problem is that USPS has no idea what is inside a box from Amazon. Live chicks are marked and *noisy*!! But the wound care supplies that I order, or the baby formula & diapers/wipes my son orders on Amazon— those things are important, and are needed to be delivered on time.

In order to help prevent theft, most if not all, Mail order pharmacies do not put any kind of wording on the box or envelope that says that it has medication inside... many don’t even put their company name on the return address. — So again... how would USPS know what is inside? Instead, they prioritize based on how something is mailed: Parcel post vs. 1st class vs. Priority vs. Express. Lower-classed mail is loaded on to planes & trucks on space-available basis after all Priority & Express has been loaded.
Live animals are supposed to be loaded before other mail, to guarantee they keep transit times as low as possible... Doesn’t always work that way, apparently.

Oh, and FYI— Amazon now has their own delivery fleets in most areas of the US. If there’s a warehouse/Fulfillment Center within 2-3 hours of a particular geographic area, they use their own delivery drivers who either drive Amazon Trucks, or in some areas, they may use their own vehicles (especially near Xmas.). If you see the large panel vans with the Amazon smile— That’s Amazon’s own delivery fleet.
You can also tell if it’s Amazons own fleet making your deliveries, by “tracking your package” on your orders page. If, when your package has been delivered, you see a photo of it on your porch, or doorstep, or wherever... That’s the Amazon drivers.

There are still a few areas using USPS... But, they have contracted specially with the USPS to have dedicated carriers and vehicles that deliver only the Amazon packages. A postal employee at the church I used to attend is an Amazon Exclusive USPS carrier. He has a route, but he doesn’t deliver any other mail except Amazon packages. It’s a different mail carrier that brings your letters, bills, and non-Amazon items. He says he’s been rented out to Amazon.
If you look at the orders page and you see a clickable tracking #, that takes you to the USPS (or other carrier) site, or it says something like “pkg was left in or near mailbox”... Then it’s post office, etc.

We received our chicks on Thursday that had been sent on Monday. Unlike past years when the PO would call us at 5am, no one called this time. About 10am I asked my husband to drive over to the PO to see if something was there for us. Sure enough, there they sat cold and on the floor. He quickly got them into his warm truck and I spent two hours warming them up when they got home. Two of the 26 were DOA and we have lost 7 more. some just never recovered and I expected them to fail. Today I felt like we were past the worst part since they were all running around in the brooder acting like happy little chicks. Then we went out to pick up some coop project supplies (ha!) and came home to another one dead.
My concerns are many. My order was supposed to ship in early Feb but due to the weather they could not ship until this week. Hatcheries hatch eggs on a schedule to meet their orders. So how do they fulfill all of these back orders when they can finally ship? I order from the same hatchery every time and have a loss of 1, maybe 2 at the most. But now we have lost 9! Was it the 72 hours in cold temps with less care than the USPS has given in the past? Did I just get a bad batch? Even though my brooder set up has not changed from past years...am I doing something wrong? The one tonight had been acting perfectly normal all day, doing what chicks do. It had a full crop when I found it. We have nipple water feeders so I know it did not drown. There was no blood or other signs of "fowl play." The heater is on and plenty warm but the chick was at the opposite end of the brooder where we keep the food and water. What is going on?
The same thing happened with my order that came on Friday and I had one that got delays so it will arrive Monday instead of Friday. Usually they call almost immediayely but we've gotten quite a few new people this year. Actually had to argue (tried not to at first, but they kept it up) that just because I picked up a single batch of chicks that didn't mean that I wasn't waiting on more. Plus they kept insisting that my batch on Friday couldn't possibly be my batch because it was up front and not in my address slot. Finally they decided to "humor" me and look at the address.

I miss our retired people 😅

We received our chicks on Thursday that had been sent on Monday. Unlike past years when the PO would call us at 5am, no one called this time. About 10am I asked my husband to drive over to the PO to see if something was there for us. Sure enough, there they sat cold and on the floor.
My brother was a rural mail carrier until he recently retired. We were talking about getting bad service from some people in general, not just the post office. He said the Post Office is like every other company that has a lot of employees. Some are better than others. Most employees try to follow procedures but there are a few that just don't care, whether that is live animals or packages marked fragile. They are supposed to have ways to deal with those people but that depends on the local manager, the postmaster. He expressed some frustration with his postmaster in that regard.

I don't know what time those chicks got to that post office, but unfortunately it sounds like you got one of those employees that doesn't care. The other times you got someone that did follow procedures. You can't control that, the hatchery can't control that.

If they were shipped on a Monday they probably hatched Sunday. The hatcheries are usually pretty good on that timing, better than I am. That gives them time to sex the ones that are sexed, sort, and package them. 48 hours for shipping keeps them in that range where they can live off of absorbing the yolk with a safety margin. That means yours should have been delivered Wednesday. That contributed too. Some of that depends on the routing it takes to get to your post office. In Arkansas I was close enough to the main distribution center that if the chicks were shipped from the hatchery on a Monday they were in my local post office Tuesday morning, that was from three different hatcheries. I never had a dead chick. There are different parts to this but I think you just had bad luck with this. I feel for you. Chicks dying like that is rough.

I revised the bit in red.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I'm sure you hit on it. The extra day in the mail without food and water is very hard on them. While they can survive a couple days without sustenance, research shows that the sooner after hatch that chicks eat, the more vigorous they will be from that point forward.
I have a great hatcher (older GQF Sportsman) but I'm trying to design a hatcher with food troughs and water in case of a protracted hatch. PasReform sells a 90 egg hatcher basket with food and water built in but I haven't checked on the price yet.

I've rarely lost chicks coming to me in the mail and none of those I've shipped. However that last shipment that took 3 days, I'm sure it compromised their health. I'm glad I got them food and water before I put them in the box.

I'm so sorry! Everyone has already said it all, and these dying chicks happened because of the delayed shipping, really sad.
I'd go back to your post office, in person, and make sure they have all your phone numbers, and ask to see the manager. You'll perhaps be able to tell if it's a staffing problem, or some other foul up further back in the delivery system.
Also find out where your distribution center is, and see if it's possible to pick up chick orders there.
Mary

Hatcheries hatch eggs on a schedule to meet their orders. So how do they fulfill all of these back orders when they can finally ship?
If you are asking what the hatcheries actually do, they reschedule the orders over the next few weeks or months, depending on which chicks they expect to have available when. It would be like when a blizzard closes the dentist office for a given day--they reschedule one patient into an opening tomorrow, three more next week, a few the week after that, and so forth.

With the chicks, it means that some people who wanted chicks in March or April but had not placed their orders will find the chicks sold out, so they will have to either place orders for later months, or do without, and the hatchery will probably sell less total chicks this year.

If you weren't really asking, but instead you meant, "it's hard for everyone involved when the Post Office does this," then I agree with you :)

We received our chicks on Thursday that had been sent on Monday. Unlike past years when the PO would call us at 5am, no one called this time. About 10am I asked my husband to drive over to the PO to see if something was there for us. Sure enough, there they sat cold and on the floor.
Were they peeping? Making any noise at all? If not, it’s possible they thought they were already dead, and were maybe reluctant to call you just to give you a box of dead animals? In a way, you can’t blame them.

If they were cheeping, then I’d be heading down there with one of the revived 🐥 🐣 , to speak with the postmaster. I’d let them see the little life that was nearly extinguished by the careless handling of their workers. Unfortunately, there’s no question about whether someone gives a ___ about animals when applying to work in the postal system. Sadly, there’s probably more than a few that are annoyed by the noisy chicks they have coming thru their facilities.
Actually, I think I’d go down either way. That way you can show him that in the seemingly lifeless box of “live animals” there were indeed living chicks. Explain that even if they think the chicks are dead, they really need to still call the addressee, because there’s a chance that some are in shock but still alive. For them to have a shot at survival, they need to be placed in a warm area, and given to the owner ASAP, not left on a cold floor for hours.
Hatcheries hatch eggs on a schedule to meet their orders. So how do they fulfill all of these back orders when they can finally ship?
They set extras for each hatch date. They have to in order to account for those that don’t develop, the ones that don't hatch on time, the ones that don’t survive the hatch, those that are obviously deformed, and of course, to replace the ones lost in shipment. It also gives them extras to add to small orders & to raise for sale as pullets.
Was it the 72 hours in cold temps with less care than the USPS has given in the past? Did I just get a bad batch? Even though my brooder set up has not changed from past years...am I doing something wrong? The one tonight had been acting perfectly normal all day, doing what chicks do. It had a full crop when I found it. We have nipple water feeders so I know it did not drown. There was no blood or other signs of "fowl play." The heater is on and plenty warm but the chick was at the opposite end of the brooder where we keep the food and water. What is going on?
The cold temps probably didn’t help things, but many others got their chicks without many losses, so it surely not the whole reason. They could’ve been handled roughly by any worker or workers along the journey, The crate the box was in could have fallen off of a conveyor in transit... or the truck taking mail from the airport to the sorting or transfer facility could’ve broken down. Or there could’ve been a delay unloading the cargo from the plane or from the trailer.

Keep in mind, that the semi driver’s do not load their own trailers, & have no idea what is back there. Likewise, the workers moving cargo from the planes to trucks. And often the environment is loud and they wear mandated hearing protection, so they aren’t even gonna hear any noise coming from a crate.

Even if they did... it’s not like they can rip into a crate, or crates, searching for something making noise. The best they can do is try to get it the whole crate moved to a slightly protected area. It’s not up to the workers to make decisions as to what gets prioritized... the computerized system is supposed to manage that, and as far as any given worker knows, the animals are moving thru the system exactly the way they’re supposed too— quickly & efficiently.

Substituting their own judgement could end up causing exactly the problems everyone thinks they ought to be solving! For all we know, some of the complaints I’ve seen about boxes of chicks being lost”— “how can no one know where they are?”— Could be due to a worker thinking they can help protect someone’s chicks, only to have their efforts end up causing a crate to not get put on a flight, or a truck, or whatever... thus delaying things and causing problems.

Your brooder set-up, if it’s been successful in the past is probably fine. It never hurts to double check that the thermometer is still calibrated, and that parameters are still set properly.

It‘s possible (maybe even probable) that your unexplained chicky death was due to a congenital problem, or from something that was in no way related to your care or due to shipping. Some chicks will die no matter what you do. Even in perfect circumstances, some chicks do not thrive and will simply fall over dead with no warning at all!

Back
Top Bottom