Utah!

Quote: I havent decided yet on the feed to egg ratio. They are a lot messier then my chickens. I can fill their feeder full of food and go back out a couple hours lator and all the food has been scratched out of the feeder. I need to find a different feeder. They use their becks to scratch it out. I have been trying to find some different methods but no luck yet. As for taste, they are good. Not as much flavor as a chicken egg. I sale my chicken eggs so i use my quail eggs for cooking. It takes about 5 eggs for 1 large chicken egg.

Very pretty quail egg, MadChicken!

I may be joining this informal hatch group- my neighbor wants me to hatch some golden cuckoo marans eggs for him. He may want them after hatch, or they may be available for sale. Very fun!

Wow Gary, those are cool eggs. The easter egg dyer in me wonders if they would dye in a cool pattern. Blahahaha…. I might have to get me a quail hutch and get some quails for fun.

Well its day 3 of incubating. And so far so good. Temp is staying at 99 bottom and 101 on the top, and it goes right back to that temp within 30 minutes of turning. The only thing that I can't get to stay is the humidity. I added a sponge, still doesn't help. It will go to 30-33% but within 2-3 hours back down to around 23-25%. Then I will add a little water through the hole to the sponge, it brings it up back up but then it goes back down again in a few hours. But I did some reading, and there are tons of people that don't even use humidity until day 18, they say it makes the chicks smaller and they have better hatch rate because they don't drown being too big. I really don't understand the drowning of a chick, I'm guessing because their air in the egg is smaller? So I guess I will just keep playing with it. I do add water to the sponge every time I turn, but its still really wet. I was thinking of adding another one, but with it going up to the low 30% with just the one, I don't want it to go up to the 40% with 2.

Very pretty quail egg, MadChicken!

I may be joining this informal hatch group- my neighbor wants me to hatch some golden cuckoo marans eggs for him. He may want them after hatch, or they may be available for sale. Very fun!

Sounds fun! I LOVE my golden cuckoo marans, she is so unique and has a great temperament. It would be fun to see them as chicks, I got mine as a started pullet, so I am sad I missed out on her baby pictures :)

Silly, You are right about the dry hatching, I have tried that and it usually works fine. I am sure what you are doing is fine for humidity, try not to worry yourself crazy. I am soooo crossing my fingers for you, it is fun to read your posts about your exciting hatch, I am rooting for you so hard!

Gary, nice egg from your quail!

Thanks Casa, I hope they hatch, or I will be needing to find some more eggs. My 5 year old is just about as excited as me. She has even named the eggs. That's right the eggs all have names. So hopefully they all hatch. Probably not going to happen. I told her that sometimes they don't all hatch, but she was like, "I know, but ours will" So hopefully at least 3 hatch. Or I will be finding eggs real quick. My husband said I should have waited till the feed stores had some chicks, because if none hatch, I could have easily went down got 2 and put them in there and say surprise, while you were at school they hatched. hahahaha.

Hey all. I am looking for some Silkies for the Spring. I am not good at the Tiny Chick Thing... my heart is still broken from the ones I did have....

I was hoping someone would like to part with/sell me some maybe 2-3 month olds.....? Preferably White, but one white and one colored would be ok with me too.... any color really.

I know that may be a huge things, but I will gladly pay you for them.

Erica

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom