Utah!

YES it is a nice day in the valley! I really like it when the mornings begin to get a tad crisp… a nice time of year we are heading towards for sure. I don't ride a bike any longer, but from what I can remember, that was a nice thing, this a.m would have been as you noted. I don't like the wind however. Go Aggies last p.m. and Utes as well, as for BYWho don't know, don't care. I am loving that football season is BACK!

I was wondering if you folks here in the Utah thread post much out on the 'front boards' or if you mostly chill in the state thread. I like to go out front and pitch in as best I can, paying back in a way those whom assisted me. Plus I am still the perpetual student it would seem. Hoping Lisa's thing went well, and wishing all of you a nice Labor Day weekend. A wonderful holiday me thinks.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Birdman, I really hope they start handing out tags for the urban deer in Tooele. They seem to be here all the time. We have them come in and eat the hay for our horses and destroy our garden. I would love to take one here! I may check into doe tags, too :) And I need to see when the jackrabbits and cottontails are in season. There are a bunch of them in Rush Valley.
look at elk tags too, in some areas they are trying to cut the population and offer more tags for them often for archery and such, not always bulls tho. i hope you can get a urban deer tag, would be nice to do it in your own yard lol. i believe jackrabbits are open season year round but check to be sure. i know most people that go for them dont even eat them. most just use them for target practice sadly. also look into eurasian doves, those are open season, they mostly hang around urban areas tho so you might have to use a air gun. they are very invasive in the united states. they can have around 8 oz of breast meat on them and are easy to breast. try wrapping it in bacon :)

YES it is a nice day in the valley! I really like it when the mornings begin to get a tad crisp… a nice time of year we are heading towards for sure. I don't ride a bike any longer, but from what I can remember, that was a nice thing, this a.m would have been as you noted. I don't like the wind however. Go Aggies last p.m. and Utes as well, as for BYWho don't know, don't care. I am loving that football season is BACK!

I was wondering if you folks here in the Utah thread post much out on the 'front boards' or if you mostly chill in the state thread. I like to go out front and pitch in as best I can, paying back in a way those whom assisted me. Plus I am still the perpetual student it would seem. Hoping Lisa's thing went well, and wishing all of you a nice Labor Day weekend. A wonderful holiday me thinks.

RJ
i mostly hang around this thread :)

Cynthia, here's what came out of our eggs from your old EE rooster's twin.
wink.png
The light one's mom is our BO and the blue one's mom is our BR. Both looked to have inherited daddy's beard. They are teeny tiny! Our hens are Feb chicks so very young layers. Out of the 8 we put in, all started developing but 5 quit and one other made it to lockdown and internally pipped but quit after that. I'm guessing it's probably because the moms (and dad) were young and the eggs were still quite small.
Aww, you got a blue. I got chipmunks.
I did get blues out of my last try with a roo I kept for a while. The Blue Copper Marans. I love blues. Haven't had one out there in a while.
It will be fun to watch that little chipmunk, bet she has some blue in her feathering, mine does now at two months. Really pretty. I will try and get a photo for you tomorrow.

RJ

I will drift between other threads. I used to hang out a lot on the Icelandic thread, and sometimes I drop into the Emergency/sick section, meat bird section, pictures section, or the "other poultry" threads. It depends on my mood :)

look at elk tags too, in some areas they are trying to cut the population and offer more tags for them often for archery and such, not always bulls tho. i hope you can get a urban deer tag, would be nice to do it in your own yard lol. i believe jackrabbits are open season year round but check to be sure. i know most people that go for them dont even eat them. most just use them for target practice sadly. also look into eurasian doves, those are open season, they mostly hang around urban areas tho so you might have to use a air gun. they are very invasive in the united states. they can have around 8 oz of breast meat on them and are easy to breast. try wrapping it in bacon :)

Yep, DH and I both have antler less elk tags to fill in October. I am hoping at least one of us gets one. DH takes the ring neck doves with his pellet gun, and we want to try the breast meat. I did not know that about the jack rabbits being in season year round, so thank you! I would also like to try bow fishing at Utah Lake at some point. I want to try carp.

Last edited:
Aww, you got a blue.  I got chipmunks.  
 I did get blues out of my last try with a roo I kept for a while.  The Blue Copper Marans.   I love blues.  Haven't had one out there in a while. 
 It will be fun to watch that little chipmunk, bet she has some blue in her feathering, mine does now at two months.  Really pretty.  I will try and get a photo for you tomorrow. 

Oh! I can't wait to see what yours looks like! :D we opened up the two eggs that were late quitters from our one of our EEs and the they were very chipmunky but so was mom when she was a chick. Do you remember what color your EE rooster started out as? I remember ours being yellow with a faint red/orange hue on his head.

I will drift between other threads. I used to hang out a lot on the Icelandic thread, and sometimes I drop into the Emergency/sick section, meat bird section, pictures section, or the "other poultry" threads. It depends on my mood :)
Yep, DH and I both have antler less elk tags to fill in October. I am hoping at least one of us gets one. DH takes the ring neck doves with his pellet gun, and we want to try the breast meat. I did not know that about the jack rabbits being in season year round, so thank you! I would also like to try bow fishing at Utah Lake at some point. I want to try carp.
yeah i just checked the proclamation and jackrabbits are open season no licence needed. the other rabbits and hares are different of course. glad you got elk tags and i wish you both the best of luck. the eurasian doves are mostly breast meat and are so easy to breast out, you can see how on youtube. the meat can dry out so be careful. its one good reason to wrap it in bacon lol. carp meat would be interesting. i hear its not bad eating. most the world eats carp and its very valued. i hear its great smoked. bowfishing would be a lot of fun. and you are saving the taxpayers a lot of money lol. but yeah i always look at alternative sources for food when i can eating local and saving some money.

yeah i just checked the proclamation and jackrabbits are open season no licence needed. the other rabbits and hares are different of course. glad you got elk tags and i wish you both the best of luck. the eurasian doves are mostly breast meat and are so easy to breast out, you can see how on youtube. the meat can dry out so be careful. its one good reason to wrap it in bacon lol. carp meat would be interesting. i hear its not bad eating. most the world eats carp and its very valued. i hear its great smoked. bowfishing would be a lot of fun. and you are saving the taxpayers a lot of money lol. but yeah i always look at alternative sources for food when i can eating local and saving some money.

Yep I like growing and harvesting my own food. I cringe at all of the additives in store bought food. I will have to try that with the bacon :) Bacon is always good. DH wants to go on one of those management hog hunts and I am A-OK with that!

I have fertile Silver Laced Wyandotte eggs in the Herriman/Salt Lake area if you are closer to SLC.
I thought she'd gotten out of it herself for a minute, but nope...she's still resolutely trying to hatch some eggs. :D I'm in the south end of West Jordan, so I'm pretty close to you. Can we work out some time to meet up? I'm free pretty much anytime.

Thank you so much everyone for the congratulations and rcstanley I'll definitely be reading through that (several times). :D

iPick..here you go..she is the one on the left..not sure why camera shot so bright!
The other chick also came from Buddy, our twins. :) I hatched Buddy out myself,
and yes, he did look a lot like your little yellow chipmunk. Interesting how much they
can change ... those EE's. The mama to this one with blue is from a Brown sex link, not
a red, a brown, and yes, there is a difference. :) The other one is also from Buddy,
didn't catch her mom in the photos, but she looks to have some Welsummer in her, she
came from a beautiful green egg..the mama, then laid a brown ..which this dark one
came from. Now, with Buddy's genes, and mama's, hoping for an OE from her.
Will probably get a blue egg from the light one. She looked like your yellow baby too
when hatched.

The mom...

The baby again, she has the puffiest cheeks! Buddy did too.

These two are joined at the hip. :D

Maybe I'll go out later and get better ones, these make her look bright orange, she's more of a buff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom