Utah!

Let Stepanie know! She would love to have your Sizzle when it's ready.

Had to go back and spell my grandbaby's name right...and o, not an a. They name their children because of the meaning..this is Greek, meaning, A Gift From God. Wonder what his nick name will be?
wink.png

Look what I got to snuggle on today. Baby boy Theodore. Our 34th Grandchild.

14054902_10205285754783183_2465318781016000089_n.jpg

I love tiny baby feet. :)
What an adorable baby! I love his cheeks.

School started for me, so I don't get to hang about all day with the chickens. They are a little miffed at me because they don't get to free range nearly as much.

Carrie

I'm not free ranging mine at all right now due to the hawk that I saw perched ON the chicken run yesterday. The chickens were all hiding under the coop and the hawk was looking at them from its perch on the run. Fortunately, the run is all enclosed. The hawk was gutsy and me going outside to check on the chickens didn't even scare it off completely. It just moved to the fence between our yard and our next door neighbor's. When I got closer to the coop, it took off, but didn't hurry about it. I'm hoping the neighbor behind us doesn't have his free range girls carried off/eaten. He has three dogs in the yard though, so that may be too much for the hawk to tangle with.

Congratulations on your grand baby! What a doll!

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how to navigate the site, so sorry if this is in the wrong place! :) I just started raising chickens last week. I just love them to pieces. We live in Eagle Mountain and I'm a bit concerned about how they fare in the winter cold/snow. Do I need to put a covering over the run or the coop to keep out the snow? It gets pretty cold out here in no man's land. Also I have one guinea hen and she is not well liked by the other girls. Right now, I have created a separate run for her and her coop is a large dog crate. I'd love to have everyone get along, should I put her in the main coop with the others and let them slug it out? THanks for any advice!

Trying to figure out how to navigate the site, so sorry if this is in the wrong place!  :)  I just started raising chickens last week.  I just love them to pieces.  We live in Eagle Mountain and I'm a bit concerned about how they fare in the winter cold/snow.  Do I need to put a covering over the run or the coop to keep out the snow?  It gets pretty cold out here in no man's land.  Also I have one guinea hen and she is not well liked by the other girls.  Right now, I have created a separate run for her and her coop is a large dog crate.  I'd love to have everyone get along, should I put her in the main coop with the others and let them slug it out?  THanks for any advice!

Trying to figure out how to navigate the site, so sorry if this is in the wrong place! :) I just started raising chickens last week. I just love them to pieces. We live in Eagle Mountain and I'm a bit concerned about how they fare in the winter cold/snow. Do I need to put a covering over the run or the coop to keep out the snow? It gets pretty cold out here in no man's land. Also I have one guinea hen and she is not well liked by the other girls. Right now, I have created a separate run for her and her coop is a large dog crate. I'd love to have everyone get along, should I put her in the main coop with the others and let them slug it out? THanks for any advice!

Yes, an enclosed area that holds in warmth, preferably off the ground about a foot, is preferable. We're in Magna and it gets pretty cold and snowy here. Here are some pictures of our coop for inspiration.

This was back before we expanded the run and when we only had two chickens, Sam and Amber. This is the side view of the coop.

Here's the coop from the front.

As to the Guinea Hen, as far as I know, they will slug it out and get along eventually. It may be a frustrating and worrisome process, but you can help it to go smoother by introducing them to each other gradually over about 30 days before making them official roommates. Free ranging them together in the yard where they can see and interact with each other but also run for cover if need be is helpful. Giving them separate living spaces where they can still see each other but not really interact physically for a bit is also helpful. That's about all I know.

Last edited:
MOST chickens hate snow and will not walk in it if they can avoid it so when it snows they will stay holed up in the coop unless they have some clear ground to head for. Some chickens don't mind the snow, mine hate it. I have a 8 x 16 foot area that is covered just outside the pop door, my chickens can come out and be in that area unless it is blowing snow or rain very happily. I don't need to cover the coop as it is a weather proof house for them to be safe and warm in. the snow on top acts as an insulator. sorry forgot to mention, we are in Herriman next to the mountains and get plenty of snow and yuck.

Last edited:

Sounds like a Coopers Hawk, they are so brazen!

MOST chickens hate snow and will not walk in it if they can avoid it so when it snows they will stay holed up in the coop unless they have some clear ground to head for. Some chickens don't mind the snow, mine hate it. I have a 8 x 16 foot area that is covered just outside the pop door, my chickens can come out and be in that area unless it is blowing snow or rain very happily. I don't need to cover the coop as it is a weather proof house for them to be safe and warm in. the snow on top acts as an insulator. sorry forgot to mention, we are in Herriman next to the mountains and get plenty of snow and yuck.

Yep, best to keep the snow plowed out of the way if they don't have an area like this. Love you coop and run set up. We also have that kind of roof on our coop, that you have over your run. Yes, nice insulator.

Back
Top Bottom