Utah!

My husband has built me a brooder out of plywood and 2x4's that he has put on wheels for me. It is decent size (a little over 3' x 4') since we had tiny bantam chicks this year that needed to be protected from the l.f. chicks he rigged up a partition a little less than 1/2 by using a wire rack shelving piece. That way everyone could see each other and I put a couple of the bigger chicks that were more calm and not picking on the Polish crest on their side. It worked very well to keep everyone together yet keep the polish safe from the more boisterous birds. I will use the partition again in a couple weeks as I start to work in 3 new silkies that I got last week, I will put the new ones on one side and in the evening bring in the cochins and or polish and place them on the other side to get them used to each other until the time that the silkies will go outside to the grow out pen.

This is what we ended up doing to separate them, cardboard and dog crate door lol.

The poor older chicks are even more cramped now but we got our coop started and will hopefully have it done this week to move them into and the little chicks will have the brooder to themselves for a bit more.

I need a favor. My ******* neighbors whose kids throw wild bird seeds out into the yard and who keep uncovered kitchen waste in a receptical in their yard called animal control on me due to seeing a single rat. I'm going to do the permit application since I conform in all respects except potentially one.

I'm in Salt Lake City. While the county and most cities allow chickens in a side or rear yard, Salt Lake City says rear yard only. I'm on a corner lot, and it's pretty open to debate whether I have them in a side or rear yard. In looking at the December 2009 city council minutes and attachments, I think rear yard got in there due to the buzzword of "back yard chicken" and not for any legitimate public health or welfare reason. Accordingly, I emailed my city council representative asking that the ordinance be put on the agenda to amend the rear yard to be rear or side yard (as the city beekeeping ordinance reads).

I'm wondering if more of you could contact the Salt Lake City council to push for getting this on the agenda. Otherwise I may end up either loosing my chickens or in a lengthy battle over what my only yard really is. The 25' requirements and all other requirements are a total non issue for me. Just that rear yard thing.

Thanks.

Hello all! Brand new bird mama in Salt Lake (Liberty Wells). We're located nearby the old South High School (SL Community College South Campus). We have four hens and two ducks. Just finished the final touches on our coop ysterday. Chickies spent their first night in there last night. Ducks will hopefully be able to share it soon too. Can't wait to connect with many of you local to me.
smile.png

For anybody in the St George, Utah area....

I over purchased polish chicks this year, so I'm selling the excess. They are about a month old I have 3 Silver Laced and 5 white cap black...they are straight run, super healthy and ready to go.
$7 each or 3 for $20

I also have a 9 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte for $12

I need a favor. My ******* neighbors whose kids throw wild bird seeds out into the yard and who keep uncovered kitchen waste in a receptical in their yard called animal control on me due to seeing a single rat. I'm going to do the permit application since I conform in all respects except potentially one.

I'm in Salt Lake City. While the county and most cities allow chickens in a side or rear yard, Salt Lake City says rear yard only. I'm on a corner lot, and it's pretty open to debate whether I have them in a side or rear yard. In looking at the December 2009 city council minutes and attachments, I think rear yard got in there due to the buzzword of "back yard chicken" and not for any legitimate public health or welfare reason. Accordingly, I emailed my city council representative asking that the ordinance be put on the agenda to amend the rear yard to be rear or side yard (as the city beekeeping ordinance reads).

I'm wondering if more of you could contact the Salt Lake City council to push for getting this on the agenda. Otherwise I may end up either loosing my chickens or in a lengthy battle over what my only yard really is. The 25' requirements and all other requirements are a total non issue for me. Just that rear yard thing.

Thanks.

Who would you like contacted? Rats are normal everywhere..

We've had chickens for awhile but my kids want to raise some to show in the county fair (we are in Utah county). I'm having trouble finding out information like what breeds can enter, how old they have to be. Does anyone participate in their county fair and can give me some guidance/advice?

Back
Top Bottom