Utah!

Sphinx---on your pictures----the one on the right, the bigger one....does it have stringy feathers back toward the tail coming in>or am I seeing things. I kind of thought that when I saw the picture, but it just might be the lighting.....it really looks the same other than that. Wow the BLRW really is far along...that gives me hope about our lavs....maybe this breed just develops late.

Uh oh---then I had the thought....what if they are ALL boys lol

Last edited:
Lisa, honestly, I have no idea if that bigger one is a boy or not. I would lean towards not, just because of the comb/wattle difference from them to the wyandottes.

I do plan to keep *A* rooster. I don't want more than one though. I haven't decided who to keep yet. I do want fertile eggs to play with.

I lean towards keeping another BCM, because then I could have olive egger babies. If one of the lavs turns out to be a boy, may keep him though.

I need to rehome my BLRW roos soon. I may give one to my next door neighbor. Her rooster isn't doing so well (he never quite recovered from the coon attack last fall), and she's talked about getting another one. If anyone wants one of these boys, I'd sell them really cheap.

Sphinx-Olive eggers would be fun. 1st generation pullets could make some money for you :) I will watch to see what you end up doing so I know what you will have available down the road for sure ;)

Any snow for anybody yet? Saw some flakes a bit ago....hoping not too bad so it will be a nice dry Thursday and beyond, it looks really nice after the cold snap. Good time to get my littler birds in with the big honchos outside, and get some cold weather garden plants started. Hoping we do not get too much rain/snow so we can till up the garden next weekend :p

Quote:
FBCM's are the next ones I want to add at some point....they are so pretty, the feathers in the sun..., and those chocolate eggs are just amazing! Did you decide if you are going to keep a rooster with those Sphinx? If so, I would love to buy eggs from you next spring
smile.png
Or chicks
smile.png
Then there are those cream legbars hatching ......boy I hope those are around next spring~!
I have sworn a solemn oath not to buy more chicks until A) I know how many I am rehoming due to roosterness or B)something else happens to reduce my flock size, INCLUDING any more feather eating, then someone will get evicted......or lastly C) Next spring (I will have four hens retiring.)
Chicken math got the best of me, and it is not even Easter yet. Last Easter we got our first 4 chickens and promised we could get no more until Easter this year. haha......

I know we have at least one breeder bringing some good quality maran chicks to the chickenstock.. maybe two breeders.. French Blacks, Blues and Whites!!

You probably ought to wait until May 5th to get more chickens or else you'll still end up taking some home from the Chickenstock...
gig.gif

Last edited:
:goodpost:
Sheesh Shawn am I THAT predictable? LOL!

You are in fact quite right, so I wait til May 5----then I will bring this Lav Roo with me, I should be sure by then! AND then I will have an excuse to get another chick or two ;)

Good Morning All!

Question----I have had these eggs in the incubator and I was wondering when the first time is I should candle them and what should I look for? I hope they still work, the temp went up just a tiny bit Sunday morning, and my hygrometer I ordered on Ebay is not here yet so i just have the water in the bottom hoping it is all ok :)

welcome-byc.gif
randish! Sounds like you have some pretty nice birds going on. Don't you just love em? We love our babies here. If you could post pictures of your Speckled Sussex, I would love it..I have one in my teen pen that I am having fun watch grow out it's pretty feathers. My hubby loves that one.

Thanks Cynthia12! I have a few pics of them when they were babies, but I haven't taken any since they grew up. I'll take some tonight and will post them. I love the Speckled Sussex. It seems like she just gets prettier and prettier as time goes by. Everyone comments on her everytime they see her. So far they have been my favorite! I'm looking forward to having a few silkies in the future too!

Quote:

I usually don't candle until 4 or 5 days along. Then I can almost always tell who is good and who isn't. I don't toss anything til 10 days in (unless they're weeping gunk, then they go immediately). It never occurred to me that I could BRING stock to chickenstock.... I was sitting here all smug and secure that I was safe from the allure of chickenstock because it's several hours away. But, if I could get my BLRW cockerels (and other chicks from the other two hatches I'm going to do), that suddenly makes it sound realllllly fun. I wonder how I could convince dh that I should go without completely convincing him I'm nuts?

Huh, my cute little BLRW chicks sold today. I was glad to see the whole group go together, but a little sad to see them go at all. Still, I have a couple of cream Legbars eggs that should hatch Thursday and the chicks from Greenfire should arrive then as well. And that's not even considering all those BLRWs in the incubator right now. Guess its for the best, but they sure were cute little buggers!

Good Morning All!
Question----I have had these eggs in the incubator and I was wondering when the first time is I should candle them and what should I look for? I hope they still work, the temp went up just a tiny bit Sunday morning, and my hygrometer I ordered on Ebay is not here yet so i just have the water in the bottom hoping it is all ok :)

I also candle about day 5-- should see a bit of veining, usually up by the airsac. However, even if I don't see it, I'll usually keep the eggs in until at least day 10. I've had a few slow developers before, so I don't like to toss them too early. Day 5 is really only to give you a fair guesstimate of how things will likely go.

I wouldn't worry about the hygrometer until lockdown, really. I pretty much always do a dry hatch, so I pay no attention at all to humidity until day 18. The I do everything I can to crank it up as high as I can.

Back
Top Bottom