Utah!

Sweet set-up! How big is that coop and run? Want to come do a make-over on mine? Er, not that I have one here in Bountiful. No, no, that would not be legit at all. I mean the one up in in Duchesne, of course. Hm, come to think of it, I probably should do some pics of Fort Chicken some time...

Donna--Pics are good! Be sure to get some up of your Fort! That avatar pic is amazing, they are so stinking cute! You are lucky lucky lucky! I hope your flock does well and you can sell us some babies down the road!

The lowdown---
The casa is now 10 x 6 indoor space, then the run is the 10 x 6 under the coop plus 12 x 6 behind, then we are going to add 2 more 12 x 6 sections (I believe, not sure how many posts we have left) so when we are done they will have 46 x 6 outside space including under the house. I do not think we will put a hard roof over the new run part for now. Will see when fall comes :) Then at the opposite end of the run we have another sloped enclosure to put there. It slopes away from the run, just like the one we already have, but it will be on the opposite end. It is smaller, it was a house we built for our big dog a while back, but if we put it up on legs it will be a mini coop, I think it is 4 X 3. I think I will keep the egg boxes where they are on the coop on the end by the house, then use that littler end if I need to section of babies or broodies or my crested girls if they do not do well with the regulars. In the run we are making a gate so that the run has one section on the end that can be sectioned off with the mini coop if needed. We will just leave it open when not needed. I still have to paint that little coop, waiting for the DH to do his thing with the run first. Hopefully all my girls will fit in here and get along....we were too small before. I am wanting to keep 20 ish. ( No teasing! I know that number goes up everytime I post)!! Another photo shoot will happen when we are done :)

Are you coming to Southern Utah? I'd be happy to take the extra legbars if that's what they are...I'd pay you like $5 a chick..

So, the chicks arrived from Greenfire today--I had ordered 4 Cream Legbar girls and 2 boys, all of which arrived looking very perky and happy. Hard as heck to get pics of them--they move so dang fast that most of the pictures ended up all blurry, but here are a few that weren't so bad:

In addition to the Cream Legbars, I received four mystery chicks-- We think they are Breda's, but I am waiting to hear back from Greenfire as to what they are. Cute as buttons, with feathering going down their legs. Only problem is, I don't think I really have room for them, what with all the BLRW's I'm hatching and the Cream Legbars that I'm TRYING to hatch (we'll see how that goes--got a couple in lockdown now). Guess I'll try to sell them once I find out for sure what they are; Here's some pics of them for those who might have better ideas than I do--I'm guessing Breda's just based on what Greenfire has available on their website.

Sorry that last pic is sideways--for the life of me, I can't get the pics I pull from my iPhone to do what I want them to do half the time, regardless of what program I use to try to edit them once they are on the computer. Very frustrating! I need to get myself a real camera sometime!

haha I know you are checking to see if i have the self control I declared.....no not really haha! But seriously, I am being optimistic, hopefully more baby blue wyandottes :) I looked at them today and I could see the development starting in many of them ! So excited!! And it is looking like I may have more boys than I thought with the chicks so I might indulge in a FCBM this spring, and I am deciding if I should try to hatch something fun for myself, I will probably sell the baby blue dots if I can manage to make it work :) I am pretty happy with the blue mamas.

Nah, what you really need are four darling little blue Breda's from Greenfire farms. Oh, wait, look at that! I have just that right here in my little brooder!

Bwa-ha-ha! Welcome to the dark side!!

Are you coming to Southern Utah? I'd be happy to take the extra legbars if that's what they are...I'd pay you like $5 a chick..

No plans to head that way anytime in the near future, I'm afraid. It's not the legbars I'd be giving up, though--worked a little too hard to get some of those! It's those little Blue Bredas (at least I think that's what they are) that I didn't expect to have!

Cynthia---I have not looked closely at these guys for a few days, been egg-obsessing.....BOTH the little EE's have tails that are curling downward on the ends. Big time. AND the splash Ameraucana too. Both lavs are upright (small and perky still) and the BA. So now I do not know what the heck is going on, maybe lavs are girls, and the other three boys, haha it is so funny it just goes back and forth. Then the little EE that I thought was a girl, looked like she was trying to throw up this morning, and out came this weird sound. Hmmmm....suspicious! I will give it a week and take pics again to see if it gets (worse) haha! Naughty girls, acting like boys!
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png
Do you think it was a crow..or was it really throwing up, and it made an....eewwww, that was gross sound? lol.. curling down tail? Does that mean rooster? Nah..haven't heard that one. Unless there is a feather or two that is poking upright in there somewhere amongst the curling down tail. I remember a gal telling me that on one of my pullets a few years ago, said that tail looks suspicious there, with how it is curling downward. Well, that little girl was here for a long time, laying some nice brown eggs. But, there's that But..you never know.

So far, I have three blues out. Fluffy pretty babies. I'm thinking you have enough blues. NO? Well then, there are plenty around on this site.
I'm thinking that those fuzzy footed babies look like LF Cochins. Pretty what ever they are.

That extra room your chickens are going to have is great! They will love it. So will you! You can stand up in it. That's the best part of my run, except..on our addition, I have to bend over. I don't mind, it's just that small end. I can walk in the coop, that's nice.

Brad, I separated the two pencils. Oh my goodness, it was sad sounds this morning. Funny thing is, their voices are changing, and they sound like ducks. Anyone else ever notice that? When their voices start to change from peep peep, they sound like a duck..some of them. These two were calling each other back and forth for a while. They settled down pretty quick though. The pencil and the bo are in together now.

Had a cat out there watching my babies. Scott asks, are the babies out? I say, what? We both look out the window, and the whole body of the cat is out of sight, behind a bush by the baby coop. I see a tail just a twitchin away. I said, that's a cat! I went out to shoo it away, went over and let my Golden Retriever out, plus my shcnoodle was after it too. It was up on the fence by the time the dogs got out, but my little dog made enough noise to scare it pretty good I think. I had a cat get one of my Heritage RIR's once. It was a Ferrel cat. Mean! Will have to watch for this stinker.

Last edited:
Do you think it was a crow..or was it really throwing up, and it made an....eewwww, that was gross sound?  lol..  curling down tail?  Does that mean rooster?  Nah..haven't heard that one.  Unless there is a feather or two that is poking upright in there somewhere amongst the curling down tail.  I remember a gal telling me that on one of my pullets a few years ago, said that tail looks suspicious there, with how it is curling downward.  Well, that little girl was here for a long time, laying some nice brown eggs.   But, there's that But..you never know.  

So far, I have three blues out.  Fluffy pretty babies.  I'm thinking you have enough blues.  NO?  Well then, there are plenty around on this site. 
 I'm thinking that those fuzzy footed babies look like LF Cochins.  Pretty what ever they are. 

I do not know what it was, never had a rooster lol! Will keep you posted. Yes I have the two blue wyandottes, then their eggs hatching blue wyandottes hopefully, so blue is the new black haha! Now you have blues hatching too! But yours are blue egg layers, those are the funnest ones of all! So fun! :D

Can't wait to see the pictures. And hope you get your splash :) Congrats on new babies!

Back
Top Bottom