Utah!

Do you folks know of anyone in Utah with Foley line Blue Laced Red Wyandottes? Or some really nice looking BLR's if not Foley line?

There used to be a regular here who had some gorgeous BLRW's, but I've not seen her online for quite a while. She had some things come up that forced her to get rid of a lot of her stock, sadly. I don't remember who here got birds from her. Her name is Corvidae.

Our humble abode. There's dad mowing the lawn for the first time. If you look close at the front door, you will see our two little dogs watching me.
Despite the cold and icicles we got last week, my tulips popped up, and so did the flowering bush, which for the life of me I can't remember the name of. We are in a neighborhood, that is why you keep hearing, wish I had more land! :) We are actually pretty happy here, all settled in for the final yrs.

Last edited:
So I've been trying out an experiment for people who want to raise chicks without a heat lamp or any supplemental heat. Who can't afford to run a heat source all the time or live offgrid with limited power like me. ;) it's the 'cold brooding' method.

Anywhoo, I started with 4 chicks (given to me by a friend who didn't realize how loud they really are!) these chicks were 2-3 days old when I got them...they are now almost 2 weeks old and have been doing fabulously with zero supplemental heat! Their 'cold brooder' is in an unheated shop where the nightly temp is 40*-50* F. Daytime temps between 75*-85* F. They are in a cage brooder (kept away from drafts) with wood shavings on the floor and food and water containers (canary water tubes work awesome for minimal water splashing and clean up!) in that area. They also have a 'mini coop' where they sleep and go into to warm up. The coop is a cardboard box lined with emergency blanket foil and filled 1/2 way with chopped straw. The inside roof of the coop also has the same foil draped from the top of the front to the bottom of the back resting on the straw. For extra warmth during the last cold storms we had I draped a towel over the whole brooder and they all stayed toasty warm. So far they haven't been cheeping or huddling too much from being too cold, this is the 1st batch of chicks I've brooded like this...has anyone else tried this method?

So I've been trying out an experiment for people who want to raise chicks without a heat lamp or any supplemental heat. Who can't afford to run a heat source all the time or live offgrid with limited power like me.
wink.png
it's the 'cold brooding' method.

Anywhoo, I started with 4 chicks (given to me by a friend who didn't realize how loud they really are!) these chicks were 2-3 days old when I got them...they are now almost 2 weeks old and have been doing fabulously with zero supplemental heat! Their 'cold brooder' is in an unheated shop where the nightly temp is 40*-50* F. Daytime temps between 75*-85* F. They are in a cage brooder (kept away from drafts) with wood shavings on the floor and food and water containers (canary water tubes work awesome for minimal water splashing and clean up!) in that area. They also have a 'mini coop' where they sleep and go into to warm up. The coop is a cardboard box lined with emergency blanket foil and filled 1/2 way with chopped straw. The inside roof of the coop also has the same foil draped from the top of the front to the bottom of the back resting on the straw. For extra warmth during the last cold storms we had I draped a towel over the whole brooder and they all stayed toasty warm. So far they haven't been cheeping or huddling too much from being too cold, this is the 1st batch of chicks I've brooded like this...has anyone else tried this method?
That is good to know. How much longer does it take to grow them out? Does it stunt their growth? It seems like they would be using their calories to keep their body warm instead of growing. It's good to know that it works well though.

Regarding Grit: IFA has grit in fifty pound bags, it is in the warehouse/storage area not in the 'store'. It is called Pigeon Grit and is a reddish color. As I remember it is under fifteen dollars, so much cheaper that the national brand name they sell in the store, by the chicken supplies.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Edit: If everyone knows a little, then we can all know a lot. I really like this Do It Yourself chicken CO-OP we have here in the Utah thread.

Last edited:
That is good to know. How much longer does it take to grow them out? Does it stunt their growth? It seems like they would be using their calories to keep their body warm instead of growing. It's good to know that it works well though. 

So far they seem to be feathering out faster than chicks I've brooded with heat lamps, they do look a bit smaller...but not much. Everything I've researched about it says they feather faster and grow slower, but that they will eventually catch up to the weight and size they are supposed to be.

It will be interesting to see if this is true or not, and yes I'll keep everyone updated on their progress. :)

Regarding Grit: IFA has grit in fifty pound bags, it is in the warehouse/storage area not in the 'store'. It is called Pigeon Grit and is a reddish color. As I remember it is under fifteen dollars, so much cheaper that the national brand name they sell in the store, by the chicken supplies.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Edit: If everyone knows a little, then we can all know a lot. I really like this Do It Yourself chicken CO-OP  we have here in the Utah thread.
hmmm i did not think of pigon grit. i guess i assumed it would be too small to do the job. might have to try it.

cynthia you have such a beautiful house and yard.

my hen that was making that crow like sound is my head hen, she also "mates" the other girls. guess i gotta put more effort into them thinking i am the rooster of the flock since some hens will do that when there is no rooster.

btw if anyone is looking for a barred rock boy let me know. he is still not fully feathered out yet tho. i dont care what you do with him, i just dont want to know if you know what i mean

Back
Top Bottom