Utah!

I am having problems with birds getting into my coop and eating all the chicken feed. I usually just have the door open all the time so that the chickens can get feed and water anytime, but that's how the birds are getting in. Does anybody have suggestions to a way to keep the birds out and allow the chickens to go in anytime?

could you get a picture of the coop, and where you have your feed?

I am having problems with birds getting into my coop and eating all the chicken feed. I usually just have the door open all the time so that the chickens can get feed and water anytime, but that's how the birds are getting in. Does anybody have suggestions to a way to keep the birds out and allow the chickens to go in anytime?
maybe get one of those fake owls they sell at cal ranch, lowes, ifa etc and put that up and hope it does not scare your chickens?

What kind of birds? Those sparrows are pests! They are always around my girls feeder. No keeping them out from the big coop and run. They can't get into my grow out pens.

Our first egg came yesterday afternoon. I believe it was laid by a GSL at 19 1/2 weeks. The egg is well formed with a nice shell but it is small yet. Fresh egg is the brown one next to an extra large white commercial egg for reference. The sign that something was up was the dramatic increase in chatter amongst all the chickens for the day proceeding the big event and especially by the one that laid the egg. Our nest boxes are at ground level, built into the side of a commercial coop, but she laid it right where she was supposed to. Instincts are amazing when you think about it. Chicks raised independent of any parenting instinctively figure out all kinds of crazy feeders, waterers, roosts, next boxes, etc.

We are also expecting a litter of rabbits in less than a week. So big doin's on the homestead.

Last edited:
Our first egg came yesterday afternoon. I believe it was laid by a GSL at 19 1/2 weeks. The egg is well formed with a nice shell but it is small yet. Fresh egg is the brown one next to an extra large white commercial egg for reference. The sign that something was up was the dramatic increase in chatter amongst all the chickens for the day proceeding the big event and especially by the one that laid the egg. Our nest boxes are at ground level, built into the side of a commercial coop, but she laid it right where she was supposed to. Instincts are amazing when you think about it. Chicks raised independent of any parenting instinctively figure out all kinds of crazy feeders, waterers, roosts, next boxes, etc.

We are also expecting a litter of rabbits in less than a week. So big doin's on the homestead.

Congrats! Ours looked the same way at the start. We have 16 GSL so we still have some coming on line now at 20 weeks and have a mix of bigger and smaller eggs. What kind of rabbits? We had Lionhead kits 6 weeks ago and the kids have hardly put them down since week 2.

I have some chickens available.

Three Marans chicks, three days old, blacks and blues. They are 3/4 FBCM and 1/4 GCM. They are cute chicks and will lay a dark egg. The slight mix seems to lay more readily too. $5 each, straight run.

One purebred FBCM roo, about four weeks old from eggs hatched from Lisa Hansen. Will be a nice roo. FREE

Nice Bielefelders. Two ten month old hens laying readily, about six days a week each. $35 each. Two five week old pullets, $15 each. One two week old roo, $3.

Show season is coming Hey everyone, just a reminder that show season is coming. The salt Lake County fair is Aug 12 I believe and the Utah state Fair is the first part of Sept. The Utah fancy poultry assn. show is in October. If anyone has any questions about showing let me know. its fun and great for kids as well as adults
Do you have the dates for these shows? I don't wan't to enter really, but I would like to attend to see the birds. Can you buy at any of them?

How do you enter and show?

Fill out the form and pay the entry fee. (per bird?)
Condition your bird
Show up with it in any cage or a special cage?
How long do they stay at the show? Just the day?

If I was going to attend the show with my kids is one day better than another or are they only 1 day?

Sorry for all the Qs. I would like to show someday, but have no idea how to go about it.

Congrats! Ours looked the same way at the start. We have 16 GSL so we still have some coming on line now at 20 weeks and have a mix of bigger and smaller eggs. What kind of rabbits? We had Lionhead kits 6 weeks ago and the kids have hardly put them down since week 2.
We have New Zealand Whites from a very good line from California. We just started a couple of months ago. We have one doe in production and 2 more that are a couple of months away from their first breeding.

We have New Zealand Whites from a very good line from California. We just started a couple of months ago. We have one doe in production and 2 more that are a couple of months away from their first breeding.
Nice! Are NZs for food production?

Utah Fancy Poultry Association website is way out of date. Anyone a member here?

Back
Top Bottom