Utah!

Yes, something like 90% of the meat rabbits produced in the US are NZW. They are also very competitively shown. We bought our stock from one of the top NZ rabbitries in the country thinking the kids may raise some 4H projects, we will likely sell breeding stock, and we will raise some for the table.

I am having problems with birds getting into my coop and eating all the chicken feed. I usually just have the door open all the time so that the chickens can get feed and water anytime, but that's how the birds are getting in. Does anybody have suggestions to a way to keep the birds out and allow the chickens to go in anytime?

I bought some light weight bird netting and stapled it across the top of my run. That solved the problem for me. You free range your birds, I'd assume, thus negating that solution... :( Pictures would help, and I liked the owl idea!

I have some chickens available.

Three Marans chicks, three days old, blacks and blues. They are 3/4 FBCM and 1/4 GCM. They are cute chicks and will lay a dark egg. The slight mix seems to lay more readily too. $5 each, straight run.

One purebred FBCM roo, about four weeks old from eggs hatched from Lisa Hansen. Will be a nice roo. FREE

Nice Bielefelders. Two ten month old hens laying readily, about six days a week each. $35 each. Two five week old pullets, $15 each. One two week old roo, $3.

Hey Liz! My aunt is going to buy your two Bielefelders, I believe. Sharon is her name. Awesome lady. I am working on a gorgeous 8'x5' coop for them right now! They are going to be very spoiled chickens. :)

Because I have been out of the loop for a while, I wanted to reach out and re-introduce myself by posting some pictures of my coop and some chickens!

Here is my coop! The sunflowers are almost ready to bloom, and the summer squash are doing marvelously (until I let them free-range).

Here is my Silver Laced Wyandotte... She's about two years old, I believe! She's lower on the totem pole.

Here is my Cuckoo Marans. She is a pretty consistent layer of a medium-dark egg. She is the BFF of my SLW.

Here are a few of my Speckled Sussex. They are BEAUTIFUL and the most gentle birds I've ever had. They hatched out in February or March. Hopefully they start laying some eggs soon!

Here's my Speckled Sussex rooster. He will be the head-honcho in my breeding program this year! I'll have some purebred Speckled Sussex chicks, along with some really neat cross-breeds.

Group shot!

This is a mystery chick. Sorry for the poor picture. She is my most skiddish hen. She was a chick that I hatched out with all of my Speckled Sussex. She was supposed to be Speckled Sussex, but obviously the breeder accidentally slipped in something else. I have no idea what she is!!!! But she is beautiful (even if I don't see her very often... little stink.)

How about everyone else!?! Let's see some pictures of your flock!

ace, love the speckled sussex..can you post the eggs when they start laying?
LL

My LF frizzles (Olive Eggers and EE's) do just as well as the others in our Logan climate
big_smile.png
Even the frizzled silkies have been fine.... but I do have a heat lamp that will flip on in the bantam coop if it gets super cold.

Okay. Thanks. I have been wondering about that for a while, and keep forgetting to ask. What about Polands?

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks. I have been wondering about that for a while, and keep forgetting to ask. What about Polands?

I have Polish too and they are fine in the winter. I just can't use heated dog bowls for them I have to use an electric heated waterer with the little trough, the keep their hairdo from falling in the water and then freezing. When I use the heated dog bowl their hair dips in the bowl then freezes and they have little icicle dreadlocks that hang down and go klink and then the feathers fall off, it looks miserable!

Back
Top Bottom