Utah!

Ugh... Will my chicken EVER stop chick piling?
Girls, you are all at least 20 weeks old! I realize it's getting cold but even when it was sweltering they were all piling up in the roost. They need to learn to be proper chickens!
you might need to place them how you want them each night until they learn. when a chicken does not have a older bird like a mother showing them how its done some just dont know how to roost the right way as crazy as that sounds. you might need to stay there with them until its dark so they wont get up and move. i know its frustrating

Sad. Day 13 and none of my shipped Legbar eggs had a hint of veining. :( I think they had a rough shipment. Through the shells they looked pretty scrambled despite a great packing job. :(

Has anyone had any issues with hawks? We had one hanging around this morning. My big girls were all under the coop yelling at it. Can they take off with a full size chicken?
sorry about the legbars :( as for hawks they sure can take a full size chicken. its amazing what they can take off with. eagles have been known to take smaller deer for example. not every hawk will take a full size chicken but most can. magpies are a pain, such smart birds and all and i respect them but my girls hate them for sure and will alarm call if they get too close

Sad. Day 13 and none of my shipped Legbar eggs had a hint of veining.
sad.png
I think they had a rough shipment. Through the shells they looked pretty scrambled despite a great packing job.
sad.png

Has anyone had any issues with hawks? We had one hanging around this morning. My big girls were all under the coop yelling at it. Can they take off with a full size chicken?

Yes they can take off with a chicken. I had a hawk take off with one of mine last year.

Wow, Lisa! That is traumatizing!
sad.png
I have all my birds out freelancing in the yard today. I think I'll send my dog out there to watch over them. Maybe that'll keep the bird away. Since we're in a pretty contested area with good tree coverage, we don't see many hawks but I always have magpies around.

watch your dog when I complaind to wildlife resources they told me they had also been carrying off dogs and cats. I borrowed a big dog from my daughter to guard my flock until the hawk went away

I had a hawk try and take my silkie last fall while I was sitting six feet away. The silkie got away jumping down a covered window well. I couldn't believe how brazen that hawk was. It wasn't all that big of a hawk either.

Migration season for the hawks Is starting up, so keep an eye out.

Sad. Day 13 and none of my shipped Legbar eggs had a hint of veining. :( I think they had a rough shipment. Through the shells they looked pretty scrambled despite a great packing job. :(

:( :( :(

We usually have a Cooper's hawk hanging around here, but I think a couple of zone tails moved in recently because I saw them out playing about a month ago. I've yet to have trouble from the latter, but the Cooper's Hawks are pretty bold. We also have an owl that I think took one of my pullets last year. if they're hungry enough, I'm sure they'll try it.

What an exciting day. I went and rode my horse then came home to take a nap, I was stretched out on the recliner just ready to drop off . I felt my dog jump up on my chest. I opened my eyes and there was my dogs face in mine, In his mouth was a big wriggling mouse. She dropped and gave me a look here's your present. YUK I jumped up and was a couple of steps behind hubby chasing down that thing. Of course the dog thought it was a game and ran ahead of us caught it and presented it again. She had her feelings hurt when I told her NO NO NO about her present too me. Sheesh so much for a peaceful nap

What an exciting day.  I went and rode my horse then came home to take a nap,  I was stretched out on the recliner just ready to drop off .  I felt my dog jump up on my chest.  I opened my eyes and there was my dogs face in mine,  In his mouth was a big wriggling mouse.  She dropped and gave me a look here's your present.  YUK  I jumped up and was a couple of steps behind hubby chasing down that thing.  Of course the dog thought it was a game and ran ahead of us caught it and presented it again.  She had her feelings hurt when I told her NO NO NO about her present too me.  Sheesh so much for a peaceful nap

LoL, you just made my day.

What an exciting day.  I went and rode my horse then came home to take a nap,  I was stretched out on the recliner just ready to drop off .  I felt my dog jump up on my chest.  I opened my eyes and there was my dogs face in mine,  In his mouth was a big wriggling mouse.  She dropped and gave me a look here's your present.  YUK  I jumped up and was a couple of steps behind hubby chasing down that thing.  Of course the dog thought it was a game and ran ahead of us caught it and presented it again.  She had her feelings hurt when I told her NO NO NO about her present too me.  Sheesh so much for a peaceful nap

Wow! That is great! America's Funniest Home Video worthy for sure!

Back
Top Bottom