Utah!

cool.png

EldMntCove I had my battle last summer. I'm not sure where they came from but I suspect it might have been from my incomplete coop cleaning that spring.
he.gif

I did all the research here and other places, Sevin was why up there on the list including putting it directly on the birds. I got some from Walmart it was around 8 dollars. After reading the instructions(it was for vegestables but the percentage that was was recommended for chickens)I couldn't bring my self to put it directly on my birds. I keep some of my DE in a recycled Parmesan(?) Cheese container for liberal application in the coop(More later). I got each bird and hit them heavy with the DE, top bottom, front, back and hung them upside down by the legs and hit them again. I had a whole flock of white birds.
Then it was time to do the coop correctly. All the shavings out, rinse, soap and water, rinse. Rinse again then dry. After it was dry Sevin everywhere then two inches of shavings and sevin again two more inches of shavings and sevin. I stirred the sevin in heavy in the bottom and switched over to DE the closer to the top I got.
That seemed to take care of all but one of my birds which I but campfo Phenick (???) on her legs for several days in a row.
My understanding is we (people) can transport mites but they can't live on us for long a week. Which means without a food source a week to death. DE and sevin everywhere they might have been but carefully consider heavy use of Sevin where it can be inhaled after all it is a poison.
hide.gif
:oops:
Good luck

Quote:
My understanding is that chickens can get mites from wild birds, who pretty much all carry them - so if Betsy was ever outside, she was exposed. Have you been able to find a color photo that identifies the bugs she has? That'd be a good place to start. Although, even looking at the photos online makes me itchy.

I've gotten Sevin dust at IFA, CAL-Ranch, and even seen it at Home Depot in the gardening area. If you do find some, be sure to wear gloves and a face mask when dusting with it - try putting some in the foot of a nylon stocking, tie off the end and then pat her with it like you're using a powder puff. Don't forget to re-treat all your animals in 10 or 14 days for any newly hatched mites. Did you find any eggs on her?

Did you find DE locally? I'm not sure where you live, but there are usually ads on KSL.com's classifieds section for it - I just checked and there are two ads right now, both $40 for 50 lb bags, one in Mapleton and one in Murray.

I don't know about your garage - you'll probably need to clean it as thoroughly as you can, replace any bedding and shavings, and then dust it all pretty well. I'd dust all your current birds and dogs, too. Probably not what you want to hear (it's actually not too bad if you have a helper, I can dust a chicken in a minute or so), but better to nip it in the bud than let an infestation take over.

She sounds like a sweetie to put up with so much. Let us know how she's doing!

good luck!

edited to add - I didn't use straight Sevin dust on my birds - I mixed some DE in there, too, probably close to 50/50, but we did dust the heck out of the coop, nesting boxes, and roosting areas. And I didn't use the eggs for about 10 days, just because I'm paranoid. I scrambled them up and fed them to our neighbor's dog (with his permission).

Last edited:
She sounds like a sweetie to put up with so much. Let us know how she's doing!

Thank you all for the info and PacsMan for the DE offer!

Sorry for taking long to reply, spent the wkend on a job in SL. The little silkie is doing ok. Well, let's say alive and seems perky, although she hasn't eaten much. I inspected her on a white sheet last night and found only two, both dead. yeah! I haven't had the time to yet to inspect my flock. No sign of bugs on humans or in the house.

What is weird is we have a ton of wild birds and we've even rescued a few injured and a baby and never come across this on them or my chickens. Some of the birds even sit on my horses' backs and hang out w/them when they eat and yet no bugs on the horses either. Would altitude play a part? I know about quarantining as I rescue horses but I assumed I was safe since she was an individual pet and not even from a closed flock. my bad
hide.gif
Does anyone know if this kind of mite (it's red) can live on pets?

The owner offered my money back and I could still have the coop (no thanks). Edited to add he emailed and is mailing a check.
smile.png

As for Betsy, she's probably safest here for the time. She's fluffy but you can tell she doesn't hv any oil on her feathers, she'd never survive outside. I have her in a big aquarium (w/wire mesh lid) with a low watt lamp. Bedding is hay and ash until the DE tonight. Trying to give her cottage cheese and things loaded with protein. The only thing she really has eaten is a little white rice and bite of lettuce.

Giving her back to the owner, who should really deal with it, has a wk old baby and would most likely stick her back in that coop. I guess I have a
D.gif
in my
caf.gif
until the mite/egg cycle is finished and I know she is bug-free and healthy. I still haven't been able to clearly identify what these critters are but what a nightmare...

Last edited:
Quote:
Glad to hear she's doing well. Have you tried giving her warm oatmeal? Or cooked quinoa? Quinoa has a lot more protein than rice - my chickens looooove oatmeal and quinoa, especially with a little applesauce mixed in it, or raisins. They like plain yogurt, too.

How long till her feathers recover and she can be outside? I've never had a silkie, although my daughter keeps asking for one.

Quote:
I've never heard of quinoa but looked it up and sounds yummy, I'll hv to look for some. I did try warm oatmeal, then cottage cheese, rice, flax seeds, etc. She seems perkier now so I'll try the oatmeal again.

As for outside, she was always taking indoors for the night (she slept in a small dog kennel) so I imagine she'll need to be indoors until the weather's nice.

I've never had a silkie either and she's about 7+ months old. Shouldn't she by laying by now or are they late layers? I did read that a bad mite problem can cause them not to lay so I wonder if the mites hv been around for a long time. She did have red irritated patches on her skin (but no feather loss). She's for sure a hen because they had a roo and he crowed and looked much different and the roo went to live on a farm months back. I also think she's a blue or blue splash, very pretty.

If I need to rehome her I will post a pic. The owners were very concerned about her being eaten (or being killed by a flock) and they asked for visiting for their 7-y/o daughter. She's sweet but obviously a little worried about me. Wonder why, the bath?
lau.gif

Edited to add: Oh, I didn't see any signs of eggs but can you even see them? Saw a few clumps of darker stuff but when I pulled it took a bit skin so we're thinking scabs fm mites.

Also wanted to share that just found out she LOVES top ramen noodles lol. I know the broth is way high in sodium but just gave a noodle and she chortled and slurped up a 3" piece! Even if the noddle had sodium, prior owners fed her canned veggies (YIKES!) so I'm sure no harm done here. She really is adorable and if I can't find a way to integrate her into my flock this summer, then I will need to find someone that wants a single pet chicken.

Does anyone think she would accept or like a couple baby chicks? Silkies are broody if I remember right.

julie

Last edited:
Quote:
I've never heard of quinoa but looked it up and sounds yummy, I'll hv to look for some. I did try warm oatmeal, then cottage cheese, rice, flax seeds, etc. She seems perkier now so I'll try the oatmeal again.

Edited to add: Oh, I didn't see any signs of eggs but can you even see them? Saw a few clumps of darker stuff but when I pulled it took a bit skin so we're thinking scabs fm mites.

Does anyone think she would accept or like a couple baby chicks? Silkies are broody if I remember right.

julie

Quinoa is wonderful stuff - I cook up a pot of it every week keep a container of it in the fridge so I can heat it up as I need it. It's great with just butter and a little salt, or I throw it in salads, soup, etc.

I think the eggs look like lice eggs - little balls stuck to the base of the feathers, near the skin, they look kind of like bunches of white/grayish grapes. gross.

I've heard some people will keep a silkie just for their broody tendencies - I'd bet she'd love some chicks, but I'd wait until she's settled and recovered. I'd think adding new baby chicks might stress her out, especially after what's she's been through.

Well the cost of my chickens has grown too high. I have a big flock and so with a heavy heart I am selling some of my chickens. I have for sell:

Laying pullets $20 20-25 weeks

White Orpington
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger
White Silkies
Gray Silkies

I also have some year old chickens
Rhoad Island Red
Black Bantam (she'll be your best broody)
Buff Orpingtons (I have one that went broody 3 times last year!!)

I can meet you anywhere in Southern Utah (Cedar city area) Or you are welcome to drop by at my place and see my free range flock in Beaver County
smile.png

Hi my name is Wayne, and I am the bagged feed category manager for the IFA Coop's.
I would like to set the record straight on this issue. IFA has never had a problem with their feed. The discussion was about arsenic in the feed. IFA never has had a problem with any of their poultry feeds. The whole business last year was a terrible unsubstantiated attack on IFA. We are a certified "Safe Feed,Safe Food" manufacturer of all our many feeds. We have HACCP certification which tells others in the industry we are a step above in our manufacturing practices. We are even introducing a certified organic line of poultry feeds this spring along side our safe feeds. I am sure the doctor is not making this stuff up on purpose, but he is absolutely 100% wrong on this. Please get the facts from your local IFA store. You are free to email me with any questions you might have on this at: [email protected].
Thank you and let's have a fantastic poultry raising season this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom