Utah!

Yes, it is called caponization. There are threads on it, some with illustrations.
I wonder if doing it might allow a person to keep the rooster within city limits????

Last edited:
Our heart is broke, our little Izzy (banty red pyle) went missing last night.
hit.gif

Just yesterday afternoon I had loaded my truck with some stuff, headed out to get my daughter and heard some little chortles. I call her and she comes crawling out from the passenger seat! This summer when my husband had some stuff to do on his workbench she'd hop up and watch him, sometimes nap. She's also tried to make a nest in a small box of nails near him, really Izz nails?!!
ep.gif

She was free ranging around the house with the others. We have lots of trees, a deck, bushes and cover for them, and two big outside dogs to keep away unwanteds....except those dang magpies. Has anyone ever heard of them killing a grown chicken? I know chicks for sure, those buggers wait outside songbird nests just waiting for the babies to fly. But Izzy is...was
hit.gif
a little bigger than a full-size robin and they haven't bothered her or the others. The magpies will hop down and try to catch a snack with the flock when they can but roosters shoo them off.

One of this year's banty roos (they free range 24/7) ingratiated himself into this flock and Izzy adopted him. He wasn't allowed to sleep inside their little coop (per the existing roo) so he sleeps on the rafters and Izz always stayed up there next to him. Last night he was so lonely he even let me pet him (he normally growls).

We all searched high and low to see if she is hunkered down somewhere, looked under anything she could have knocked over on herself. All I could think about last night is what if I had let her go on that short ride with me? Would she be alive still? ...and I was worried about my cloth seats getting stained.
he.gif

Non chicken people and even some chicken ppl just don't understand how some chickens really make their way into your hearts and the loss can be as deep as any other pet. Heck, we considered Betsy one of the dogs. now our little Izz, so defenseless and sweet. I just pray it was quick as she never knew harm, not even roos on her. From a baby if anyone picked on her the other girls would protect her.

I'm just prayin for a miracle that she shows up.
fl.gif

Quote:
Hi Snowburton - I'm the one you talked with and mentioned this as probably the only way you'd be able to keep the roo (other than duct-taping his little beak lol). I do hope you can find someone (if so pls let me know, I have a couple I'd like to keep but can't stand what they do to my girls).

If you can't find a "safe" home for your little guy, I can give him a good home (as last option). I have one grey silkie hen in my big coop, she sleeps alone at night. I have only one other roo in there and he's a quail antwerp belgian with a bad beak...so he doesn't do much damage to the girls and somehow he's eating fine. I had one of my older welsummers go total broody and mean on me so I put her in there and not one batted an eye nor picked on her. I honestly don't think they'd notice him.

But I do need to put a clause here: He must be healthy and bug-free. I've made more than my share of mistakes bringing home adult birds and ending up with issues.
roll.png

Everyone -- Snowburton is a great young man learning all he can and doing great. I wish more students had his ambition and goals!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hi Snowburton - I'm the one you talked with and mentioned this as probably the only way you'd be able to keep the roo (other than duct-taping his little beak lol). I do hope you can find someone (if so pls let me know, I have a couple I'd like to keep but can't stand what they do to my girls).

If you can't find a "safe" home for your little guy, I can give him a good home (as last option). I have one grey silkie hen in my big coop, she sleeps alone at night. I have only one other roo in there and he's a quail antwerp belgian with a bad beak...so he doesn't do much damage to the girls and somehow he's eating fine. I had one of my older welsummers go total broody and mean on me so I put her in there and not one batted an eye nor picked on her. I honestly don't think they'd notice him.

But I do need to put a clause here: He must be healthy and bug-free. I've made more than my share of mistakes bringing home adult birds and ending up with issues.
roll.png

Everyone -- Snowburton is a great young man learning all he can and doing great. I wish more students had his ambition and goals!
thumbsup.gif

Now wait..I know that doing this would stop them from mating...but what about crowing??? I would looove to own a rooster...it's just the noise.
sad.png

Quote:
Thank you all for the warm thoughts. I just keep hoping that she's holed up somewhere and our chicken-dog might find her.

One of my egg customers suggested getting a couple Tom turkeys. They raised chickens when she was little and that is what they used for hawk patrol. They had sheep so the coyotes weren't too interested in fussing with the Toms over lambs. They never saw a fox either but she had some BIG toms.

I'm thinking I'll get a couple next yr and give it a try. We're obviously feeding the hawks so well they're gonna reproduce. Anyone had experience with this?

Still keepping fingers crossed Izz will show up. I've walked the property, turned the garage inside out, checked the wood pile, everything I can think of.

julie

Quote:
I believe it reduces it signficantly. In fact, they will become broody. Old time ranchers used them so the girls would keep laying. There is a fantastic thread somewhere on this forum where a BYC'r did an experiment buying 100 male chicks (interesting they turned out to be all EEs). A controversial subject for some (and the thread was highly moderated) but very educating. I had always wondered (but never looked) and learned roos all "boy parts" are inside! She stopped posting not long after it looked like she learned so I don't know the ending to the story.

Of the 7 roos I let "free range" 24/7, after the 3 were taken by hawks, one hoofed it to the little coop by our house (Izzy's boyfriend), the other three are wild now. They have lots of protection and are very wary. They fly up into the outside barn rafters where they are safe at night. Underneath that is the run which has netting so any coon would get caught in it before making it up to them. I just hope it'll be warm enough for the winter. It is sheltered well and I leave food & water in a safe place for them.

Quote:
I believe it reduces it signficantly. In fact, they will become broody. Old time ranchers used them so the girls would keep laying. There is a fantastic thread somewhere on this forum where a BYC'r did an experiment buying 100 male chicks (interesting they turned out to be all EEs). A controversial subject for some (and the thread was highly moderated) but very educating. I had always wondered (but never looked) and learned roos all "boy parts" are inside! She stopped posting not long after it looked like she learned so I don't know the ending to the story.

Of the 7 roos I let "free range" 24/7, after the 3 were taken by hawks, one hoofed it to the little coop by our house (Izzy's boyfriend), the other three are wild now. They have lots of protection and are very wary. They fly up into the outside barn rafters where they are safe at night. Underneath that is the run which has netting so any coon would get caught in it before making it up to them. I just hope it'll be warm enough for the winter. It is sheltered well and I leave food & water in a safe place for them.

Thanks for the info..and, I think you need a hug! Lots has happened to you in loss of your flock. My little sweet cochin bantam laid her first egg today. I just love her, she is so small, but doesn't sound like she is small as your little one that has disappeared.
I just hatched some buttons, they will be the size of a robin when grown..they are tiny tots now!

Hug!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom