Utah!

Quote:
ep.gif
What a shock that must have been!
I am very sorry you lost your favorite hen.
hugs.gif

I'm glad you have knowledge about relevant laws and are pressing charges. It sounds like the kid NEEDS outside direction to help.

Last edited:
Quote:
i am as ready as i ever will be. i have the run tarped off, heated water base is out and i have a bunch of other stuff done. i have a girl who likes to sleep on the nest box and it is driving me crazy! i do move her every night but its still a pain. most the girls are still molting and i feel bad for them but its life

Quote:
that is great they are investigating. so how old do you think these boys are? tonight as i was coming home i saw something horrible, we were at a light and the car ahead of us opens its door and starts to dump thrash out! it was some teenage girl driving and well my mother started honking and then the light turned and we got up next to her and me and her started exchanging words and some sign language and before i got a plate she sped off. what is wrong with people that they cant show respect? i fear for our world when looking at my generation
sad.png

A couple of questions regarding the cold weather-- I have read/heard that to prevent frostbite on combs and other exposed skin, one should smear vaseline on them- but how cold are we talking here? I haven't done it so far (and we had some pretty cold weather in SLC a couple of weeks ago) and my girls are fine. They have a pretty snug coop and they cuddle up next to each other on their roost, and when I go out to check on them before I go to bed I pet them and can feel a lot of heat under their wings and between their little snuggly bodies, so I don't worry about them getting cold, but I would hate for their pretty combs to be frostbitten. Any advice about when I should be taking those precautions?
Second question- last week one of the girls hopped the (3 foot) fence into my neighbors yard and her little dog got a hold of her. Luckily for Charlotte, he is a very old dog and only managed to pull out a whole bunch of feathers. She has a bald spot now right above her tail, but other feathers cover it up so she just looks a little ragged; however, when I hold my hand above the spot I can feel heat pouring off her from that spot. Should I make her some kind of a little jacket until the feathers grow back in, or do you think she'll be okay (I was thinking something like a chicken saddle would work)?

Rachel, if all my hens weren't dead, I would've given you some fertile eggs. They would've been fun too- EE/BCM crosses. Oh well. I agree with the KSL idea- even look at the people selling eating eggs- you could ask them if the eggs were fertile or not.

Jbirdman, I am so sorry for the loss of your hen. I'd be so upset to lose a bird that way. Good for you for pressing charges!

LibrariHen, I have heard vaseline will help with frostbite. I haven't ever actually used it, and am not sure at what temp it becomes a good idea. I'd ask your questions in the general forum where it gets more traffic.

Back
Top Bottom