Votes: 64 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 61.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Pics
I answered No but that comes with a caveat as follows:

I "would" vaccinate for Mareks (I keep sebrights which are very susceptible) but it is not available here so I don't have a choice.

When my chicks are young I raise them on a chick crumble that has a Coccidiostat in it - so perhaps that qualifies as vaccinating??

Otherwise - I enquired with my local vet once about vaccinations (in general) and as a predominantly large animal vet they said they just don't go there - it's not in their sphere of services. Elsewhere in the country I suspect would be the same... chickens are not considered valuable enough for people to bother. Commercial operators will have access to more medicinal options I'm sure.

Last edited:
I lost a polish to Fowl Pox (the wet version). It was very sad to watch. My vet recommended I vaccinate the rest of the flock. I would use other vaccines as deemed appropriate.

For those that don’t vaccinate their chickens as a means to weed out the weak, have strong genetics etc. do you vaccinate your dogs? Your children?

Mine are pets so I want them to live a long time too. I have some almost 4 1/2 year old hens.

We have a hen who is in excess of 10 years old and still going strong. She's never had vaccinations, never been sick, has both free ranged and lived in a large coop. She puts up with my stroppy sebright hen by simply ignoring her (LOL) and does what she pleases when she pleases. She is considered to be the queen mother of our chickens (very dignified but not to be messed with) and I confess that I do give her plenty of favourable treatment - Because I think she's jolly well earned it!!

Who gets their chicks vaccinated...

Why or why not :idunno

Answer poll then comment you opinions below :caf

I do it if I can afford it. Where I live there is a great possibility that my chickens will get Fowl Pox. It's a terrible thing to deal with. I vaccinate if I can find the vaccine at a reasonable price but lately it has cost more to pay shipping that the actual vaccine. Anybody know how long the Pox Vaccine is good for if kept in the frig?

I do it if I can afford it. Where I live there is a great possibility that my chickens will get Fowl Pox. It's a terrible thing to deal with. I vaccinate if I can find the vaccine at a reasonable price but lately it has cost more to pay shipping that the actual vaccine. Anybody know how long the Pox Vaccine is good for if kept in the frig?

We have a hen who is in excess of 10 years old and still going strong. She's never had vaccinations, never been sick, has both free ranged and lived in a large coop. She puts up with my stroppy sebright hen by simply ignoring her (LOL) and does what she pleases when she pleases. She is considered to be the queen mother of our chickens (very dignified but not to be messed with) and I confess that I do give her plenty of favourable treatment - Because I think she's jolly well earned it!!

That’s awesome!! She sounds amazing. :love

Who gets their chicks vaccinated...

Why or why not :idunno

Answer poll then comment you opinions below :caf
I do vaccinate, I have the hatchery do it. I have 9-year-old chickens that I started with, only 3 have died from my original group and I am sure it was natural deaths. I have never had any other animal get into my coop or area where they free range. I also have 3-year-old chickens and I am getting more at the end of February. I see nothing wrong with getting them vaccinated. I have no idea how long chickens last, but mine all seems to be doing great.

Back
Top Bottom