Vaccinations – My Research And How To Go About Vaccinating A Backyard Flock

Oz I thought you would key in onto that little bit of advice. I know what a sterile field is conceptually and I also know you have great experience in this within your profession. I would assume that you dont want airborn contaminants as well as contaminants brought in through particles on your clothes as well.

How would a Lay person achieve this?

I am assuming youd also want in addition to the Gloves and mask:

Sterilized containers
Sterilized working surfaces
Sterilized Tools

When I had a biology class in 1970.... ahem.... the way to sterilize containers was with an Autoclave.... Would a pressure cooker do?
Or in this "Modern day" are prepackaged disposable products easily available. Possibly through an Ag supplier?

I know airborne contaminants would be an issue as well ..... ? how much of an issue and could it be mitigated by using an exhaust fan in the room.

Like I tell people I am a Gearhead not a Sparky.... IN this case not a BioHead.... LOL.

I have worked in the Biomed field from a standpoint of providing hardware in the form of those supply cabinets you find throughout hospitals the ones where you either access them through an RFID card or a Keyed in access code. Medicine dispensing units as well as nurses station units. Even the one that is a little robot that trundles from room to room. My job in this area was to support the Manufacturing process of these things as well as Sustaining engineering for them.

deb
STEAM IN A PRESSURE COOKER 45 MINS AT 20LBS

YOU CAN ALSO SOAK IN BLEACH 1/5 SOL FOR AN HOUR

only thing I can think of and I don't remember if you mentioned it, an you add anything about vaccinating meat birds? should they have any sine your doing the others? forgive me if I already asked
hide.gif

only thing I can think of and I don't remember if you mentioned it, an you add anything about vaccinating meat birds? should they have any sine your doing the others? forgive me if I already asked
hide.gif
you did ask.

as meaties are normally around for less than 10 weeks. I personally would not vaccinate - most vaccines prevent you from harvesting for 3 weeks. Some birds mature as early as six or seven weeks.

When I was on the vaccination trail I spoke with the local broiler farm, they said that they also don't vaccinate due to life span. The gent said, "we wear the minimal loss's so we can turn them around sooner" Which pretty much exactly aligns with Oz's above post.

Oz I want to order the Newcastle vaccine, I understand there are the two strains, we will start with the http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=F7-J6&camid=LIV

Newcastle Disease(B1-Type, B1 Strain)& Bronchitis(Massachusetts Type & Connecticut Strain)
Vaccine aids in prevention of Newcastle Disease and infectious bronchitis, Massachusetts Type and Connecticut Strain.
Can be given intranasally (1 drop in the nostril), intraocular
(1 drop in the eye), or in the drinking water. and yes I found the label info but still don't get it.
View manufacturer and/or label information

Questions
Is this the strain I should start with?
or can I do both at the same time?
I am a bit confused at the product listed at Jeffers, is it freeze dried for older birds water use or is it the frozen for day olds
hu.gif

and can I do the nostril or is that difficult to do?
adult birds need to get it in their water, can the little ones as well?
And I am stupid, it has how to dose only in large amounts of birds, I have a pen of 10 brahma, a layer pen with say 15, then grow out pens too.
And it says add dry milk to waterers?
Is there a withhold period from egg consumption?
sorry I am so confused and I swear the more I read the worse it gets!

the 2 different strains

http://www.jefferspet.com/newcastle-bronchitis-vaccine/camid/LIV/cp/F7-J6/cn/3501/

http://www.jefferspet.com/newcastle-disease-lasota/camid/LIV/cp/0040317/cn/3501/

NEWCASTLE DISEASE VACCINE – mix both strains the same way

Remove all water from your birds for 2-4 hours.

Mix the vaccine as directed. The dilutent is 30cc so I would have a 30cc syringe. If you only have a 10cc – then draw up the dilutent in 3 divisions and mix well.

Mix aprox 1/2oz milk power with 80oz or 5 pints of water.

Divide and separate birds by age
For 2-4 week olds – mix 2cc of vaccine/dilutent with 22oz (660ml) water
For 4-8 week olds – mix 1cc of vaccine/dilutent with 21oz (630ml) water
For Birds over 8 weeks - mix 1cc of vaccine/dilutent with 42oz (1.2L) water

Once all birds have had a chance to drink, you may remove and return normal water. The key is that they get the minimum dose to initiate an immune response.
Vaccinate every bird on your property. Keep away from human eyes. Do not slaughter for 3 weeks. Have yet to find any info on no eating eggs (you can always hatch those 3 weeks worth if you are worried)

2 weeks

Newcastle Disease ("B-1 Type -B-1 Strain")and Infectious Bronchitis Massachusetts-Connecticut Strain

in water
7 weeks

Newcastle Disease Lasota (B-1 Type Lasota) and Infectious Bronchitis (Hollan Mild Strain)

in water
15 weeks

Newcastle Disease Lasota (B-1 Type Lasota) and Infectious Bronchitis (Regular Holland Strain)

in water

Last edited:
Thanks! you know I will drive u nuts with questions
lau.gif

I guess I need to check on what the turkeys should get if they hatch (only 3 of them) and button quail. or if needed since turks will be holiday meals after their um time.

So if my CCL hatch (the very last of my own chicks to stay) I will begin that schedule above at 2 weeks of age and do everyone at the same time.
These are once and done vaccines? no boosters and never needed again unless I keep chicks.

Did you find all strains of these vaccines? Jeffers only has the two is that sufficient, and do I need to order a cooler and dry ice to get it shipped to me?

going off the CCL age

2 weeks Newcastle Disease ("B-1 Type -B-1 Strain")and Infectious Bronchitis Massachusetts-Connecticut Strain
7 weeks Newcastle Disease Lasota (B-1 Type Lasota) and Infectious Bronchitis (Regular Holland Strain)
15 weeks Newcastle Disease Lasota (B-1 Type Lasota) and Infectious Bronchitis (Hollan Mild Strain)

when should I throw in the Mareks Disease (MD) vaccine and how will you do this, shot?

did you find a cheaper supplier? I am wondering if I can order all of them and they will keep in the fridge until the use date?

Thanks OZ

Back
Top Bottom